• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds starting to nest and migrate around you? (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

I hacve noticed breeding behavior among birds and a bit of nest building and i think that it will be interesting to find out if different birds are nesting near different people and in different countries.I have seen coots and moorhens nest building and blue tits checking out the nest box, i have seen dunnocks fighting and kingfishers courting.As for migration nothing much is happening the redwings are begining to leave garden and the garden and moving over to the allotments to stock up. B :)

Bird nesting

Hi crazy birder
This year we had a robin building a nest in a box in the first couple of days of february. she has not finished the nest yet but we hope she will carry on and lay her eggs. Last year the robins built in the same box towards the end of february she layed 5 eggs and all birds left the nest.

hi folks
blue titshave gone down, everything is paring off , buzzards are gathering in groups of 6-7 pairing off, obviously ravens are down and tawny owls fledglings around also

first sight of chiffchaff last week

Firstly, want to extend a warm welcome to new BirdForum member Wildliferon!

Have seen ravens carrying nesting material but don't know where they're building yet. Have also seen our "resident" Dark-eyed Juncos (red-backed race) hanging around, and we had two nesting pairs on the property last year, so I'm hoping... I really don't want to go poking around the old nest sites in case I scare them off (they're ground nesters and very easily disturbed until the eggs are laid).

Lots and lots of singing/courtship going on: Mountain Chickadees, House Finches, the aforesaid Juncos, Northern Flickers (red-shafted), Hairy Woodpeckers, Pygmy Nuthatches and White-breasted Nuthatches.

And today, for the first of the season, two Lesser Goldfinches were heard (they also nest here) and a single Chipping Sparrow showed up at the feeder.

And it's about 65 today and sunny. Hard to believe Spring isn't already here. ;)

Pretty active around here: Plaintive Cuckoos are calling around the clock, both White-rumped and Scaly-breasted Munia are busia building nests, as are the resident Tree Sparrows and Olive-backed Sunbirds.

NOTHING moving here yet - a cold winter end has put paid to any early migrants, days and days of constant snow and temps still down to -15 C ensure the usual early birds have yet to appear. If turns mild, first birds that could expect this time of year would be Skylarks, Meadow Pipits and not long after Starlings (all strictly summer visitors here). As for breeding birds, take a guess!

A pair of collared doves have been piling nest material into the ivy covered silver birch in our garden from about a month ago but last week a grey squirrel has been diving in as well. With that and a magpie around as well I don't give the doves much chance.

Steve

Plenty displaying birds, much wing-tail flicking with the Dunnocks, Robin in dispute with a Dunnock over nest site awaiting outcome! Today 1 female Blackbird seen gathering loose dried grass? fingers crossed. Blue tits have been checking out nest box for a few days.

A large movement of Herring and Greater-black Backed Gulls over the York area for 2 weeks now and still going strong. West to East or europe???????

Yesterday afternoon the high and distant thermalling birds (naked eye) reminded me of raptors over Eilat in the spring.

John.

Well over the last week or so a single collared dove has been visiting the garden where as before they always came in pairs.

So we thought that He(r)'s partner had been taked by the resident sparrowhawk or had died but then two days ago i noticed this lone collared dove several times antering a large lallendii bush without nesting material but unfortunatly today the pair is back and I fear the worst for the nest there were a pair of magpies sitting on top of their tree yesterday.

Also there has been a definte influx of Lesser-Black Backed gulls at my school with normally only 1 adult there have been 10-12 including youngsters also pied wagtail numbers increasing with 2 birds becoming over 20.

Yes I took photos yesterday of Bluetits,and Sparrows checking out their nest boxes,a pic of a Sparrow raiding a Pampas grass which had been thrown out.They were gathering the fluffy Pampas grass as nesting material.Do not think they are up to Gallery standard!!,but will sort out later.Two Collared Doves are sitting on their nests,unfortunately in rather close proximity to Magpies.The Jackdaws who nest in our chimney pot,are collecting nesting material.I saw one sat atop the pot,holding a very large feather,whilst the partner sat chattering away ,obviously giving very verbal instructions.The Grebes are "dancing",but think it is too early for their nest building.So yes,lots of activity.Our resident hybrid duck/goose who lives on the river bed,was consorting with a pair of Canada Geese,and has now dissappeared,so hopefully he has found himself a partner.
Most of the birds are so dedicated and very family orientated,it puts the human race to shame.

Red-shouldered Hawk nest

:eat: Ever heard of the Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus?
That's the only bird that I've seen so far this year doing any nesting.

Last edited:
Nutcracker said:
Crossbill and Raven

Not many Crossbills about this year, too early for Ravens in this neck of the woods, so in a good year, you'd be 50% correct :) ...but the correct answer is nought moving, nought nesting!

Long tailed tits are busy pulling lichen off the apple tree in the garden. This is the only nest building I've witnessed.

I've also had displaying goldcrests which I managed to capture - see my gallery posting last week. Most other birds are also displaying but my favourites are the Dunnocks and Goldfinches.

First Herring Gull has seen today in this area and one week ago one birder saw first migrating Rook.

Temperature today morning -23 C, in the afternoon - 6 C. Owls calls quite much in this area (Northern Eagle Owl, Eurasian Tawny Owl, Ural Owl, Great Grey Owl, Eurasian Pygmy Owl, and Tengmalm´s Owl) !

Hannu

John are these extra to the 15,000 gulls that roost at wheldrake. I have noticed them soaring like raptors and had to double check the odd single bird.

Plus saw a juv Blackbird this morning. Definitely just fledged (very spotted breast, no tail and very fearless and rubbish flyer).

Hotspur said:
John are these extra to the 15,000 gulls that roost at wheldrake. I have noticed them soaring like raptors and had to double check the odd single bird.

Plus saw a juv Blackbird this morning. Definitely just fledged (very spotted breast, no tail and very fearless and rubbish flyer).

These are the large larids that have been passing early am and pm, not the late afternoon gulls on their way to WI's. Only yesterday morning large/ish flocks of Herring passed over the city, but today only a few.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back