• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID confirmation needed (Poland) (1 Viewer)

Second part:
6908: ?
6934: Common Sandpiper ?
6960: ?
6965: Citrine Wagtail juv. ?
6971: ? (don't know if it's identifiable at all)

Attachments

• _MG_6908.jpg
    _MG_6908.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 128
  • _MG_6934.jpg
    _MG_6934.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 113
  • _MG_6960.jpg
    _MG_6960.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 174
  • _MG_6965.jpg
    _MG_6965.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 124
  • _MG_6971.jpg
    _MG_6971.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 128
6908 not sure, possibly redshank or wood sand
6934 wood sand
6960 garden warbler
6965 citrine wag, prob.female
6971 look like ruff

6874, 6890 - edited a bit
7023 - ?
7265 - Black-tailed Godwit ?
7837 - Black-tailed Godwit ? + ?

Attachments

• _MG_6874_edited.jpg
    _MG_6874_edited.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 105
  • _MG_6890_edited.jpg
    _MG_6890_edited.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 104
  • _MG_7023.jpg
    _MG_7023.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_7265.jpg
    _MG_7265.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_7837.jpg
    _MG_7837.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 104
6874 juv goldfinches
6890 is a temminck's
7023 greenshank
7265 bar-tailed godwit
7837 redshank and bar-tailed godwit

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick IDs! :t:

lou salomon said:
6960 garden warbler
My first! |=)|

Two more:
7741: Common Tern ?
7577: Sparrowhawk ?

Attachments

• _MG_7741.jpg
    _MG_7741.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 115
  • _MG_7577.jpg
    _MG_7577.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
namq said:
My first! |=)|

Two more:
7741: Common Tern ?
7577: Sparrowhawk ?

both correct, congrats to the garden warbler (you should learn its song, then you will obs. hundreds next spring in poland;) )

lou salomon said:
both correct, congrats to the garden warbler (you should learn its song, then you will obs. hundreds next spring in poland;) )

:) Probably yes, bird songs are hard for me yet, I'm just a newbie really :)

Pity it's not a goshawk - would be my first ;) I've probably seen them earlier, but I did not take any photos or wasn't sure of an ID.

BTW, Bar-tailed is my first, too |:$|

Hi Lou and Namq

6970 is a marsh warbler, not a garden (i think...)
6971 looks like a dunlin and a wood sandpiper

i agree with the rest... :D

paul, i give up on warblers, this is really embarrassing! but if the one on the left in 6971 is a wood sand, which is possible on structure (more than ruff, i agree) then the right one ain't a dunlin.

Structure and black belly look good for dunlin on the right hand bird. Its slightly further away, so a high magnification may make it look bigger than it actually is (sounds bizarre i know, but is a common visual effect first highlighted as far as i know by the late, great Peter Grant). Don't see what else it could be really? Could be wrong though...

Don't sweat about the warblers Lou! I've given up on gulls... :h?:

Frenchy said:
Structure and black belly look good for dunlin on the right hand bird. Its slightly further away, so a high magnification may make it look bigger than it actually is (sounds bizarre i know, but is a common visual effect first highlighted as far as i know by the late, great Peter Grant). Don't see what else it could be really? Could be wrong though...

The birds flew in front of me in a pair, then sat down I took the photo, so I don't think these are two different spiecies. But I may be wrong - maybe one of those birds is not visible (behind the other one) and the second bird on photo was simply standing there...

Pity on the Garden Warbler...

Hi all.

On the icterine / willow warbler debate, our local field guides say that orange insode the mouth seperates Icterine from Willow Warbler. That would make that bird an Icterine.

Cheers.
Doug

doug_newman said:
Hi all.

On the icterine / willow warbler debate, our local field guides say that orange insode the mouth seperates Icterine from Willow Warbler. That would make that bird an Icterine.

Cheers.
Doug
That's going back a bit Doug! I presume you mean this pic from the first page? But what about the notched tail, dark lores, and pale legs? Icterine has a square ended tail, pale lores, and grey legs.
Edit: note also the undertail coverts extend quite far along the tail, beyond the primary tips. In Icterine the coverts are much shorter, the primaries extending beyond them.

Attachments

• _MG_9919.jpg
    _MG_9919.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I suppose then that that would mean either that the field guides we have here are incorrect or this is not a willow warbler but perhaps another species that does not reach southern africa?

doug_newman said:
I suppose then that that would mean either that the field guides we have here are incorrect or this is not a willow warbler but perhaps another species that does not reach southern africa?
Young Willows can be really 'lemony'. Here's a pic which shows the lemon colour, dark lores, orangey legs, and notched tail of a young Willow. (Saying that, the way Warbler threads have been going lately, I'm quite prepared to be 'shot down' :t: )

Attachments

• juv WW.jpg
    juv WW.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 94
Are you 100% sure that 6960 in post #61 is not a Garden Warbler? There is one person (a very experienced birder) who says that it is a Garden Warbler.

BTW, while searching through my old photos I've found this - I'm not completely sure what it is...

Attachments

• CRW_6930.jpg
    CRW_6930.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 121
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back