• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smashing birds - crazy weather (1 Viewer)

Reader

Ros & I were to go to Devon for the weekend but she wasn't feeling too well last night so we put it off to another time.

Waking up this morning she felt a lot better so it was decided to stay local. The pager was announcing one of my favourite birds at Kidderminster and the weather reports were for a bright sunny, but cold, day so Kidderminster it was.

It didn't take long to find the site, using the O/S co-ordinates. The birds were slam bang in the middle of a housing estate but they had flown literally 30 seconds prior to our arrival. As soon as I arrived I met up with another couple of birders that I seem to meet frequently on my travels and they pointed out that the birds had flown only a couple of hundred yards away so off we all trudged. 200 yards later we managed a quick glance at them before they about turned and flew back to where they had just come from

We backtracked and 5 minutes later we were looking at 5 smashing Waxwings, sparkling in the bright sunshine and feeding on some apples. I must have taken about a dozen photos of these lovely birds and will post some of them into the gallery. Also about were ten Redwings that were sharing the trees with the Waxwings.

I had decided to go to Belvide after the reported female Black Redstart and would you believe it the other two birders were doing the same so off we set together.

How the weather changed as we got nearer to Belvide (which is about 6 miles North West of Wolverhampton). The bright sunlight was soon blotted out as a thick grey mist began to engulf the trees and surrounding countryside. The temperature began to dip quite quickly. We also had a surprise when we arrived as the paths on the reserve were covered in fairly thick snow.

The bird had been reported on the dam and as it was soon located as it flew over the dam and landed on piles of steaming manure that had been left in the fields. We watched this bird for about 45 minutes in the hope that it would give us a chance of photographing it but the only time it stayed still was when when it flew into vegitation.

A thick mist had all but covered the reserve and the open water was covered in ice. There were virtually no birds to be seen and it was getting too cold to stay on such an exposed position (on top of the dam end) so i decided to go back to the car park for a sarnie & a cup of tea. Whilst there I picked up another year bird when up to 5 Nuthatches visited the garden feeders. I have tried to take some shots of these birds but haven't been too successful.

It was really cold now and as I had my drink decided to give monkeyman a ring (not an engagement - a phone call: lol) Al was popping out for an hour so we said we would call later in the afternoon. Prior to going there we decided to call into Chasewater to see if I could get some shots of Swans plus a chance of some flying birds for the comp.

We were gobsmacked on our arrival there. A mist had virtually covered everything and visibilty was down to about 50 yards. the light was terrible and my attempts to get any flying birds ended up in failure. I have taken some good Swan shots as well as a few others and I will put those into the gallery as well (or some of them at least)

We didn't stay too long as by now it had become bitterly cold and I fancied a cup of Monkeymans special so off we set to Al's house. Would you believe it he makes a good cuppa - cheers Al. He also takes some good photos as well as I browsed through part of his collection.

It wasn't long before it was time to go home. We hadn't seen too many birds today but a day with the Waxwings in bright sunlight makes up for it big time. The other big plus is actually taking some successful photos of them, something that I have never acheived before.

Tomorrow there is a good chance that Ros & I will go to north Wales after the Black Scoter then go to Gigrin Farm for the Red Kites. Whatever the outcome I will post a thread to cover our day out.

John,
Same sort of weather here in Gloucestershire. I worked at home for most of the day even though it was brilliant sunshine outside. At about 3.30pm, I set off to do a Cormorant roosting survey at Haw Bridge on the River Severn near the village of Tirley. As I approached, down Wainlodes Hill, I could see a big bank of mist with the electicity pylons sticking up out of it. When I arrived at the bridge it was thick freezing fog and no chance of doing the survey even though I could see blue sky, aeroplanes and the moon overhead. Very localised.

Colin

PS.. no Cormorants or any other birds seen. Even if a Cormorant had landed on the end of my scope I wouldn't have seen it, only felt it if I happened to have been holding the tripod head handle at the time...lol

JohnJ

Thank you so much for that report. Your posting is what this site should be all about. Let's have more of it!

I look forward to reading about North Wales, and sorry you couldn't get down to Devon.

One day we ought to have an official BF trip, taking in the Somerset Levels, the Exe estuary (boat trip) and maybe Berry Head or Start Point.

Shame that you couldn't get down to Devon but it was good for me really cos you gave a narration of Chasewater and Belvide which I will be visiting at the end of january. Thanks a lot mate.

John,

I felt like I was there. Great walk through. Sounds like the weather could have been better, but you made the best of it.

I also went on a expedition today, but it wasn't as far. I met with the local Audubon birders for a Saturday get together. The biggest drawback was the temp. (11 degrees F!). Did see a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, New for me.

Love to here birding stories:),

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back