• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bewick's Swan - Cambs,UK - Is it? (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Had an awesome day at the Ouse Washes today. Great fun trying to tell Whooper's from Bewick's. Conclusion? I'm not half as clever as I thought I was! This is one I've crossed off as a Bewick's. Am I close?

Attachments

• bewick.jpg
    bewick.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 335
Thanks for the replies so far. Would be helpful to know what features are the deciding factors.
I was going by shorter neck and stubbier bill rather than bill coloration.

Quite tricky, even in a good picture, but I think this is a Bewick's. The yellow doesn't protrude beyond the nostril and is still quite 'blunt ended'. It also gives a short billed and short necked impression, although that might be an effect of the angle of the picture.

Quite tricky, even in a good picture, but I think this is a Bewick's. The yellow doesn't protrude beyond the nostril and is still quite 'blunt ended'. It also gives a short billed and short necked impression, although that might be an effect of the angle of the picture.

I would not have explain it better (in spanish, my english is quite poor ;)). I don´t think in the influence of the effect of the angle in this picture.

Well I'm in the Whooper camp.
Yellow extends beyond the nostril forming a wedge shape.
Yellow patch at base of lower mandible.

3-3 are we playing extra time or is it straight to penalties?

Last edited:
Interesting picture. My first thought was Whooper, then I thought better and went in favour of Bewick's, mainly due to the bird's apparent 'jizz'.

However, now I've looked at a few pictures on the net, I'm having second thoughts again!

This bird has yellow extending to the farthest tip of its nostril, in fact slightly further. I can find many pictures of Whoopers where the yellow is a little less extensive than on this bird (level with the far tip of the nostril) but I can't find a single picture of Bewick's where the yellow is this extensive.

On the Bewick's I have found with most extensive yellow, the farthest tip is above the nostril.

My feeling is that the foreshortening on this photo is more extreme than many of us appreciate, making the head and bill shape (and pattern) look more rounded. Therefore it is a Whooper Swan for me.

Steve

Well Well! I feel better knowing that I was not the only one in two minds with this bird.
Most of the swans seen today, out of close on a 1000, were Whooper's. There were a few small groups of Bewick's dotted about, and were fairly easy to see as Bewick's, when in small groups on the water, just by their more dainty manner and more compact sizes. Also, when on the ground, it was fairly easy to look at a group of 'bewicks' then scan over a group of 'whooper's' and compare. The one posted, was flying on it's own, and, as I said, it did look shorter in the neck, but I don't mind admitting that I found trying to decide a solo bird like that, as Whooper or Bewick's, very very difficult, size etc, isn't easy to determine when birds are flying.
With the bird in question, I favoured Bewick's based purely on the shorter neck.

Following a brief consultation with my Macmillan Field Guide I,m taking a tentative stab at Bewick's. Still a tough call at that angle.

I'm for Whooper. The forehead doesn't look rounded enough for Bewick. The yellow comes to a point. This is obviously a telephoto shot and the foreshortening effect of taking a shot from distance at high magnification distorts proportion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back