• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High tide at the Wirral (1 Viewer)

TurboT

Bad Birdwatcher
Just back from a fantastic visit to Parkgates on the Wirral. Today was a very high tide which pushed all the residents out of the saltmarsh with a crecendo of activity in the 30 mins before high tide.
Short eared owls looked magnificent as did the (hen) Harrier, snipe and jack snipe which were seen. I only saw one water rail bieng consumed by heron unlike yesterday when two bit the dust.

A great thanks to the Dee Estuary RSPB team who provided a splendid comentary, essential for a novice like me. Their enthusiasm made me drive the 40 mile journey again today.

PS Theres lots more info on the splendid Dee Estuary Birding site

Luck you - I have bneen sat in work whilst my brother-in-law relayed sightings by text - high tides at Parkgate are a real treat.

Did the sea come right up to the wall?

High tide @ Parkgate

Rob Smallwood said:
Luck you - I have bneen sat in work whilst my brother-in-law relayed sightings by text - high tides at Parkgate are a real treat.

Did the sea come right up to the wall?

Did on Wednesday - tide was supposed to be higher on Thursday

adsheada said:
Did on Wednesday - tide was supposed to be higher on Thursday
Yes the whole estuary was covered in water, up to the wall at the "Baths"
It all looked fantastic, one of my best birding experiences.

I visited Parkgate in the early 90's and had a day like yours Turbo T.
My only visit and the tide was up to the wall. I couldn't believe how fast the tide came in, there were a couple of blokes out on the water in a rowboat and they were just zooming along without using the oars.
We didn't see any jack snipe but did see several different raptors including my first peregrine.

Sounds fantastic as usual. What an experience. with short eeared owls often settling just feet away as the tide recedes from the wall. merlin peregrine virtually guaranteed

Ach I've got to wait a few months before I can enjoy a nice high tide watch at Parkgate - disadvantage of Uni life in Sheffield!

Sounds great though, not seen the owls whenever Iv been at the Old Baths watching the Harriers so hopefully they'll wait for me

Would love to see some Peregrines too - great that you saw your first Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back