• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Edgbaston Pool (1 Viewer)

UW82

A juv/1w Iceland Gull was present for about 10 minutes mid-afternoon and may well have been present for some time before I arrived. After circling the pool a couple of times it flew off in an easterly direction.

Des.

Interesting...what's the deal with access to this site?

You access the pool through Winterbourne House and Gardens, part of Birmingham University. There is a charge unless you are a member or student /staff of the university.

Des.

No. You're going back awile aren't you?

Des.

Hi Des
I thought that was their hang out, every year we get a visit by the Barnacle geese and we had that pinned has their base if not there anymore I wonder where they use has their main base when was the last time you saw them on there?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
The (Feral) Barnacle Geese flock, circa 16 individuals, has been based at the Vale lake for the past 15 years at least, to my knowledge. The Vale lake is adjacent to Edgbaston Pool, being situated on the other side of the Edgbaston Park Road. The geese frequently commute between both bodies of water.

Two images of the geese in question, the first taken at Edgbaston Pool, the second at the Vale lake.

Attachments

• bg e.jpg
    bg e.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 105
  • bga2.jpg
    bga2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 119
A 1W Iceland Gull at the pool again this afternoon. Possibly last week's bird. It flew off at about 14.45. It may also be the bird that Chris Thomson found in Balsall Heath this morning that left the area.

Des.

Apparently, there was a 1W Iceland Gull and 1W Glaucous Gull at the pool this afternoon according to RBA.

Des.

A 2w/3cal Yellow Legged Gull at Edgbaston Pool this afternoon. Came in for a wash, then flew out after 10 mins. Looked very much like the bird that was at Swanshurst Park a couple of days ago.

Des.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back