• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Have not been to the Valley for 5 years, but i found the staff there pretty OK. Not sure if they have a new Warden, because sometimes volunteers tend to mirror thier bosses attitude!

Will have to pop in and have a look around soon, though it will be with flick baseball bat and anti cottage cream. Never feel safe there lol!

Can anyone expand on the reported Glossy Ibis at Sandwell Valley yesterday, please?

Hi Simon,

This record was submitted to Birding Today late last night but the observer did not provide any further details or any contact details.

Given the report of one over Coventry on Tuesday I thought it was worth a mention despite the notoriety of Sandwell Valley for 'phantom sightings'.

Brian

Given the report of one over Coventry on Tuesday I thought it was worth a mention despite the notoriety of Sandwell Valley for 'phantom sightings'.

Brian

Is there any reason for that?

Ive never really been a great fan of Sandwell Valley, but when i have gone there in the past for reported birds, theyve been there. Though i guess that just shows how very rarely i pop in!

Is there any reason for that?

Ive never really been a great fan of Sandwell Valley, but when i have gone there in the past for reported birds, theyve been there. Though i guess that just shows how very rarely i pop in!

Tbh, you do need to treat many of the reports with Sandwell valley with caution. Have a look at page 3 of this thread and you'll see why.

There seems to be a yearly report of Glossy Ibis from there :smoke:

If there really was an Ibis, well done the finder, but the reputation of the valley is clear to see through the almost constant single observer reports of rarities which emerge late at night and were either flyovers or short stayers.

Make your own mind up :t:
MB

Hope to be visiting next thursday 18th as I have to take my mother to hospital (sandwell general) so will be putting a review of the reserve and a species list for the day similar to what I do on Upton Warren nr forum for my thursday visits anything I should look out for and any area's I should make my way to I have been before but not this year yet

Had a couple of laps round the Forge Mill Lake this morning. Pretty productive morning with 40 species seen and plenty of warblers around but a distinct lack of hirundines maybe because it was so early. Full list
House Sparrow
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Wood Pigeon
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Coot
Mallard
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Great Crested Grebe
Gadwall
Grey Heron
Song Thrush
Chaffinch
Bullfinch
Goldfinch
Swallow - just the one
Snipe - 1 from marsh screen
Little Ringed Plover x2
Oystercatcher x1
Whitethroat
Lesser Whitethroat x3 great views- hedgerow near visitor centre
Willow Warbler
Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Cetti's Warbler - in bush near where the old lake hide used to be
Garden Warbler x1
Blackcap x1
Gadwall
Common Tern x2
Jackdaw
Lapwing
Tufted Duck
Reed bunting
Lesser Black Backed Gull

Yes Sandwell hide is still closed on a thursday! It does state so on the opening hours and it was when I was there last week.

Sorry

I think its disgusting the way the RSPB have let the reserve deteriorate over the years. I used to do it most days in the late nineties, and there was always someone on hand to let you know what was about.....and make you a cuppa.

They are quick enough to increase subscription fees and send money to birding projects abroad, its a pity they didn't help Sandwell Valley as well.

I was there last week for the first time in a while and couldn't believe how the place had changed.

I think its disgusting the way the RSPB have let the reserve deteriorate over the years. I used to do it most days in the late nineties, and there was always someone on hand to let you know what was about.....and make you a cuppa.

They are quick enough to increase subscription fees and send money to birding projects abroad, its a pity they didn't help Sandwell Valley as well.

I was there last week for the first time in a while and couldn't believe how the place had changed.

I have only even been in a hide once here.....for 10 mins and was lucky as they were late closing it.:C
Think it is "run" by volunteers- well the birding side .But last time I was there there were people (office types) in a portacabin thing.
BUT people might challenge this view as I think the area is not suitable to have a reserve as things just keep getting vandalised.:-C

Keith :t:

I could imagine that the emergence of Middleton Lakes (especially as and when toilets / hides are installed) will lead to the overall demise of Sandwell Valley; the amount of money the RSPB must spend in forking out for replacement hides / visitor centres in recent years must be huge.

I can see where you are coming from Phil...but surely the RSPB are there to Protect and attract birds to the areas they like to frequent.
It is an important place in a corridor through very challenging places.
To me Middleton is just an annexe to all the other excellent places in that particular area.
Sandwell has and still does have some great sightings.
The run down of Sandwell and the news that the Sheepwash (a similar location) is now a park with possibly more disturbance it does not look good.

I can see where you are coming from Phil...but surely the RSPB are there to Protect and attract birds to the areas they like to frequent.
It is an important place in a corridor through very challenging places.
To me Middleton is just an annexe to all the other excellent places in that particular area.
Sandwell has and still does have some great sightings.
The run down of Sandwell and the news that the Sheepwash (a similar location) is now a park with possibly more disturbance it does not look good.

Hi Keith - whilst a valuable oasis within the sprawling West Midlands connurbation I am not sure Sandwell Valley holds any notable breeding species or wintering populations; it is a reserve mainly for its educational value given its location so close to such large centres of population. Would be interesting to get an official RSPB statement on the vision for the future of Sandwell Valley.

Suppose it is not a hotspot for breeding but there are local birders who could give impressive lists of a wide variety of species seen there.Might be a few who frequent places like this.

Suppose it is not a hotspot for breeding but there are local birders who could give impressive lists of a wide variety of species seen there.Might be a few who frequent places like this.

The problem is there are hundreds of sites across the country that could lay the same claim. I am not aware of any intention for the RSPB to withdraw from Sandwell Valley but I can personally envisage a speculative scenario by which say most educational activity transfers over to Middleton and management is passed over to the local councils or the wildlife trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back