• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hill Hook Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Glad you enjoyed your visit Andy - you have managed to beat my peak counts of both Goosander and Little Grebe! ;) What is particularly pleasing abouy the reserbe os the close confiding nature of some of the shyer woodland species such as Treecreeper and Nuthatch

Agree entirely Phil. I think we all tend to concentrate on rare and scarce species a lot ... But to watch a male Goosander close up, or a Treecreeper at work, is a privilege.

Cheers
Andy R.

My visit to today was delayed until early afternoon when all the rain has ceased, leaving everywhere very soggy and a lot of standing water (including on the paths where a Grey Wagtail fed in front of me).

Mallard, 17 Tufted Duck, 2 Goosander (mf), Coot, 4 Moorhen, 2 Little Grebe, BH Gull, LBB Gull, female Sparrowhawk (absolutely huge - virtually Gos size), Wood Pigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, LT Tit, Treecreeper, Starling, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Jay, Magpie, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll

Sunday 30th December

Today's visit in cold, blustery but bright conditions brought three site ticks, a great way to round off the year:

Mallard, 1 Tufted Duck (fem), Coot, Moorhen, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Cormorant - briefly on the Mill Pool, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - calling from south of the Mill Pool, Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie (including a flock of 16 together at the Hill Hook Road entrance), Starling, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, up to 30 Siskin giving some great views on the western side of the Mill Pool.

I also had what sounded remarkably like the trilling call of Waxwing overhead but I just couldnt get on it and be 100% sure.

What a cracking find Phil with the LSW. Must try harder next year as I am little embarrassed with my hill hook list

A nice bright, crisp start to the New Year saw 30 species noted:

2 Canada Geese, Mallard, 1 Tufted Duck (m), 2 Goosander (m+f), Coot, Moorhen, 1 Little Grebe, Buzzard, BH Gull, LBB Gull (1 on Mill Pool and 6 over), Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, LT Tit, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin

Thought I had a Marsh Tit calling on the southern section of the reserve adjacent to Sandhurst Road, only to find the sound eminating from a Great Tit :-C

Friday 4th January

A warm and sunny day felt more like Spring and included a new species for the reverse for me:

2 Mute Swan, 2 Canada Geese, Mallard, 7 Tufted Duck, 2 Goosander (m+f), Coot, Moorhen, 1 Little Grebe, BH Gull, LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, 2 Nuthatch, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Greenfinch, Chaffinch - upwards of 30 feeding in the southern end of the stubble field east of the reserve (hoping they will be joined by a Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting or Brambling), Goldfinch, Siskin, Bullfinch, House Sparrow

Think that is now 55 species for the reserve; I have set myself the target of reaching 60 before the first spring migrant (most likely a singing Chichaff). Contenders to fill the gaps for these five species include Raven, Rook, Green Woodpecker, Great Crested Grebe and a bunting; have been disappointed so far with the limited number of over-flying birds.

Last edited:
Monday 7th January

A rather uninspiring visit today, with the main focus (if you pardon the pun) being to try out my new camera. Typically the Little Grebes were largely hidden whilst the photogenic Goosanders were absent!

2 Mute Swan, 5 Canada Geese, Mallard, 8 Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, 2 Little Grebes, BH Gull, Buzzard, GS Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Robin, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, LT Tit, Goldcrest, 2+ Nuthatch, 2+ Treecreeper, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Starling, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin, Chaffinch, Goldfinch

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 89
Sunday 13th January

A nice bright, crisp morning with a frost on the ground.

2 Mute Swans, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, no Tufted D or Goosander, 1 Little Grebe, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, 2 GS Woodpecker, Redwing, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, LT Tit, Goldcrest, 3 Nuthatch, Starling, Carrion Crown, Jackdaw, Magpie, c50 Chaffinch in the northern section, Bullfinch, c15 Greenfinch in the northern section, Goldfinch, c40 Siskins west of Mill Pool, House Sparrow.

Couple of quick snaps:
1. Nuthatch investigating potential nest hole
2. Feeding Siskin
3. Loafing LBB Gull

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 95
Saturday 19th January

Everywhere looked so clean in this morning's snow and ice and the cold snap certainly had rung a few changes with large gulls moving north, a dearth of LT Tits and Goldcrests, Fieldfare far more numerous, an increase in Siskin numbers and a clear-out of the more timid wildfowl (ie Tufties, Little Grebe, Goosander) from the Mill Pool, which was 90% frozen:

2 Mute Swan, Mallard, 8 Coot, 4 Moorhen, Buzzard, BH Gull, Herring Gull, LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, GS Woodpecker, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Starling, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin - large flck of 60 plus several small groups of 5-10, Goldfinch, House Sparrow

Now the obligatory snowy landscape pictures ....

Attachments

• 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 93
Sunday 20th January

A curtailed visit in this morning's snow produced a different range and number of birds compared to yesterday; no thrushes, reduced numbers of finches (especially Siskin), no large gulls moving overhead but more wildfowl on the Mill Pool (now only 85% frozen) and a reserve tick in the very surreal form of 2 Common Snipe flushed from the middle of Hill Hook Road as I crossed between the two parts the reserve!!

2 Mute Swan, Mallard, 9 Coot, 2 Moorhen, 1 Little Grebe, Buzzard, 2 Snipe, GS Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, 2 Grey Wagtail, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Treecreeper (just about to snap 10 foot away and no longer than 10 foot off the group when along came a pair of dog walkers :-C), Carrion Crow, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, House Sparrow

Spent a nice hour walking round today, lots of siskins showing and blue tots going in and out of the nest boxes. First sighting of a willow/marsh tit for the site for me, didn't get that much of a good look to be able to see which one it was, also a female Black cap in one of the gardens with about 20 gold finches on the west side. No nuthatch or tree creepers today mind you.

The Blake street buzzard was showing really well also, I used to have to travel to Wales to see them, now they are virtually in my back garden - brilliant :t:

Tit was by the new bridge, cross the bridge from the road side and turn right. Black cap was in the garden of the bungalow with the feeders, on the west side by the path. Will be having another walk round tomorrow with the camera. So I may even get some photos.

Another good walk round today, no sightings of the willow/marsh tit today.

Smaller flocks of siskins and I got my treecreeper and nuthatch fix as well. Fem black cap was on the feeder very briefly.

Cold but it seems like a slight thaw is starting.

Attachments

• P1010005P1010005 (Medium).jpg
    P1010005P1010005 (Medium).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P1010014P1010014 (Medium).jpg
    P1010014P1010014 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 122
A leisurely stroll in thawing conditions was notable for an increase in small birds (esp Goldcrest, Coal Tit, LT Tit), good numbers of finches sunning themselves and a patch tick in the form of a female Blackcap (potentially the same one Punta had during the week, in ivy covered trees just north of Mill Pool).

2 Mute Swan, Canada Goose over, Mallard, 6 Tufted Duck, 8 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 1 Little Gebe, 1 Grey Heron (flushed from ditch adjoining the stubble field), 2 Buzzard, BH Gull, 2 GS Woodpecker, Feral Pigeon, Wood Pigeon, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Redwing, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Blackcap fem, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, LT Tit, 4 Nuthatch, Magpie, C Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin

Last edited:
Saturday 2nd February

Today's bright conditions saw a lot of birds being active but not a huge variety. The most noteworthy sighting was the Tufted Duck numbers on the Mill Pool which has increased to 20, the highest number I have recorded there.

2 Mute Swan, Mallard, 20 Tufted Duck, Coot, 3 Moorhen, Buzzard, BH Gull, LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Redwing, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Coal Tit, 2 Nuthatch, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin

A few late afternoon walks round have been pretty poor for me spotting any woodland birds, yet to see a goldcrest this year, I reckon my dog scares them off as he normally leads me round haha

No siskins seen, which is unusual as I normally spot a couple of flocks. Two grey wagtails by the stream were the highlights. There seem to be a couple of buzzards knocking about these days, one in Blake street and one south of the Mill pond in the wood.

Photo attached of the Blake street Buzzard

Attachments

• _MG_3082 (Small).jpg
    _MG_3082 (Small).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 111
Saturday 9th February

A dank and miserable morning didnt promise much but ended up delivering a site tick in the shape of at least 4 Yellowhammers in amongst a flock of around 30 Chaffinch in the garden hedge of the houses on Ryknild Close, bounding on the the eastern edge of the set-aside field. Otherwise nothing spectacular although many birds were already into full song, together with a drumming woodpecker

2 Mute Swans, Mallard, 6 Tufted Duck (3m,3f), 16+ Coot, 2 Moorhen, 1 Little Grebe, Buzzard (in wood south of Mill Pool), BH Gull, 3 LBB Gull (on Mill Pool), Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, 2 GS Woodpecker, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Redwing, female Blackcap (in garden of bungalow on west side of Mill Pool, as previously described by Punta), Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit (incl one in Blake Street station car park as I returned home), LT Tit, 3 Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch (incl 4 in the aforementioned garden), c30 Siskin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, 4+ Yellowhammer

My Hill Hook list now stands at 58

Last edited:
Saturday 23rd March

After a period of apathy, inerta, foreign holidays and several hardcore twitches to the extremities of the British Isles, I finally returned to Hill Hook. There were absolutely no signs of Spring but surprisingly finches and thrushes were also very thin on the ground:

2 Mute Swan, 2 Canada Geese, Mallard, 2 Tufted Duck (m+f), 13 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 1 Little Grebe, Buzzard, BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, GS Woodpecker, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldcrest, Siskin, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back