• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (1 Viewer)

Mike Inskip recorded 18 Little Egrets at Old Mill pool tonight. Great that the numbers are staying high.

Des.

Male Pochard on Trittiford this morning. The Mandarin duck was with a few Mallards. It was then on the edge of the footpath preening itself. GCG trying to nest. Great!

Just to let you know we have not been cycling this weekend as my partner has just run the Bath Half Marathon - 1hr 33min great time for a 43 yr old :)
Really lovely sighting of a green woodpecker, but not much else in Bath- still haven't seen the mandarin duck so will be on the look out next Saturday!!!!

Early this morning at the Dingles, a pair of Chaffinch, two Little Egrets, a Heron and a Kingfisher making a two tone call. I could just see my first Kingfisher size fish of the year swimming up the river. Great!

Cycling trip today!

One little egret, flock of long tailed tits and look who I saw Donna........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 62
Shirley waxwings

We cycled to Shirley and I saw the waxwings - they were amazing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 31
Swanshurst Pool: Willow Warbler singing, Chiffchaff singing, Buzzard + LBB Gull (70), Herring Gull (2), Cormorant (1), nesting GC Grebe.

Des.

There so beautiful Julie unfortuantly I didnt get to see them :(
So glad the Willow Warblers are back des just love there song :)

The Mandarin was showing very well on Friday at Trittiford :) also one Little Egret on Trittiford and Three at the Old Mill Pool and a Little Grebe on Old Mill Pool patch tick for me :)

Plenty of bird song at the Dingles/Wonders Walk. 5 Song Thrush feeding on the ground. A pair of Treecreepers flew past and I could see one up a tree. A pair of Bullfinch flew past. I disturbed a Little Egret a couple times. A Heron flew over. The best was I could hear some warbling. I'd heard it yesterday on the Rea. I knew it was time to look for Blackcaps. Sure enough I could hear some more warbling from a low bush and I crept up behind a Blackcap. Great!

Well what a morning;
I found the Mandarin duck with the Mallards just down from where they feed the birds.
It's good the GCG have a nest.
Then I came almost eye to eye with a Nuthatch. Until this morning I'd never seen a Nuthatch on my travels except for the one I get in my back garden, lol.
Then on the River Cole, I found a Kingfisher straight away. Then I could hear two calling, the two tone call. Then they flew up and down the river and in and out of the trees.
There were Willow Warblers feeding on the insects above the river and then a Treecreeper. Again until last week I had never seen a Treecreeper on my travels except for in my back garden. Lol.
There was plenty of songbirds. Great!

Sounds like you had a great day last week :)
I havent seen the Mandarin for a week now.
There is now two Great crested grebe nests :)

Sounds like you had a great day last week :)
I havent seen the Mandarin for a week now.
There is now two Great crested grebe nests :)

Hi Donna, I could not find the Mandarin either over this weekend.
Someone did post a photo of it last week on Twitter.
I wondered if there was another GCG nest as I saw another male GCG.

Very quick early evening half lap of the lake. No sign of the female Mandarin, could however have been tucked away on the island somewhere, unless she's lost patience hoping a male would come along...ideal habitat though.

Treecreeper
Nuthatch
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Wren
Robin
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Moorhen
Coot
Great-crested Grebe
Lesser Blacked-backed Gull
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Chiffchaff (no time to check for other Warblers unfortunately)
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back