• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Owl - Bournville (1 Viewer)

Rob_S

Tawny Owl calling loudly for the last half hour along Heath Road in Bournville.

This is the second time in three days at around 10.30pm

Since my last post on 1st July, what is presumably the same Tawny Owl has become so regular it's almost possible to set a watch by it. We've heard it on seven of the last ten nights, and seen it several times. Always around 10.15 - 10.30pm. The only exception was Wednesday 5th July, when it didn't turn up until 11pm but then spent a good hour loudly winding the local dogs up.

We've also heard it being answered by another Owl some distance away on a couple of occasions.

Still getting visits from a Tawny Owl (presumably the same bird?) 3/4 times a week. Friday night it was 9pm, last night it was around midnight. There have been periods over the summer where it's been around every night for a week or more.

Still getting visits from a Tawny Owl (presumably the same bird?) 3/4 times a week. Friday night it was 9pm, last night it was around midnight. There have been periods over the summer where it's been around every night for a week or more.

Hi Rob, this is a good thread and of course a great bird.
I've been on the look out and listening for a Tawny Owl as there are a several Bournville records on BTO and across Birmingham. I just checked BTO and S Hares reported;
When: 25 Aug 2017
Where: Bournville (SP0481)
Who: S Hares
What: Tawny Owl (2)
When you posted your July thread I had a listen and also heard a Bournville Tawny Owl.
I had another listen last night and was rewarded with the obvious Tawny Owl call as well as a cry from the Bournville direction. This was about 10.30 and went on for 20 minutes.
(I've previously heard a pair calling up my road at 2.00 and 4.00 in the morning on two occasions, last year or maybe the year before. I would have to check)
Great!

Tawny Owl visible and calling in the oak tree at the end of our garden around 6pm this evening. Flew off after about 10 minutes.

Tawny Owl calling early this morning Bournville/Weoley castle. I was going to go out and look for it but rolled over and went to back to sleep lol. Great!

St. Peters churchyard, Harborne is THE place to see and hear them. At least 2 pairs breed around there every year. I've got breeding owls near to me and just a stones throw from St Peters. Bred for at least the last 3 years. In fact, the whole Harborne/Bournville area is good for them.

Illey meadows near to Halesowen is good for Owls. Little/Tawny and Barn Owl breed, though Barn obviously the scarcer. Even heard a Long Eared calling distantly one evening whist out mothing!

St. Peters churchyard, Harborne is THE place to see and hear them. At least 2 pairs breed around there every year. I've got breeding owls near to me and just a stones throw from St Peters. Bred for at least the last 3 years. In fact, the whole Harborne/Bournville area is good for them.

Illey meadows near to Halesowen is good for Owls. Little/Tawny and Barn Owl breed, though Barn obviously the scarcer. Even heard a Long Eared calling distantly one evening whist out mothing!

Thanks for sharing, will have a look about in the next few weeks.

Regular Tawny Owl visits to the area around Heath Road all week, particularly on still clear evenings. Earliest 9.45pm, latest (that I've heard, anyway) 11pm.

Sorry ...just in Worcestershire but still brill....

9.10 pm.....TAWNY OWL flew almost into my car as I was passing the little cottage on Redditch Road just before the "Manor House "...... I was only going around 30 and stopped and reversed where I could view it - mainly in silhouette ...really low down in the trees.....it was watching me as much as I was looking at it.....it flew along the line of the trees and perched further along where I let it getting on with finding its grub......on a massive high now....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back