• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Israel 24 April - 5 May 2014 (1 Viewer)

FXM

Frank Moffatt
Three weeks back at work was enough. Couldn't resist the incredible spectacle of the Honey Buzzard migration so here I am at Manchester Airport due to head off to Tel Aviv in around 1.25hrs.

I'll be spending nearly all of my time in the Southern Arava and the Eilat Mountains hoping the spectacle can come close to my two previous visits during this period.

Not just Honey Buzzards of course as the Levant Sparrowhawks have already begun moving through. Many other raptors and soaring birds will still be heading north and I'm hoping to catch up with one or two Oriental Honey Buzzards.

On my last late spring trip the place was full of Red-backed Shrikes and Barred Warblers among many other goodies. Also found a couple of Terek sandpipers with Barak. Upcher's and, with luck, Olive-tree Warbler are both on my hit list for this trip (as usual).

I'll do my best to keep the thread up-to-date and I'll also post news and photos on Facebook so you might also want to check there. You can also have a read of my previous BirdForum threads if you want to get an idea of what might be expected.

Cheers for now.

Frank

Last edited:
I had a slow start to my trip with cloudy, even raining, in Tel Aviv on my arrival this morning thus resulting in virtually no raptors as I drove south.

I made a short stop at LaHav Reserve and had some fine singing Woodchat Shrikes and Tawny Pipits but failed to find the Spectacled Warblers though the overcast conditions were keeping most things from singing. There were some grounded White Storks but otherwise the highlights, other than the superb shrikes, were a Short-toed Eagle, a drift by Lesser Spotted Eagle and some Turtle Doves, these are now pretty scarce back home.

I pressed onto Mt. Amsa and concentrated on the wadi and rocky area to the east of the road just below the road where it starts up the hill. Prior to reach here however was a superb flight of many hundreds of Pallid Swifts heading west allowing me to finaly add this species to the photographed list. There were also two female Montague Harriers along the road side.

The wadi area produced only really limited number of species but neither were Rock Thrushes. There were many Rock Sparrows, some clearly feeding young, as were several pairs of Isabelline Wheatears, one juvenile was very curious of the rediculous looking car I was given by Budget Rentals as an upgrade because they didnt have the class I booked, a Nissan Juke (Joke). The juvvie kept coming to the track whilst I was parked up photography my now favourite European bird.

There were at least 40-50 European Bee-eaters feeding around the area and were often using several trees as perches and I was able to get close to one such bushy tree.

I had nearly forgottern just how spectacular Euro Bee-eaters are and this tree had at least 30 Christmas Tree Lights in it. I will post some pics of my favourite bird once I download them. Got some nice ones but wont better.

Anyway there was a fine passage of White Storks over here with several hundreds passing through but raptors were limited to 1 Black Kite, 3 Steppe Buzzards, 2 Common Kestrels and my best views and photographs to date of Long-legged Buzzard.

Left here at midday and stopped at Yeroham Lake which was disappointing but this probably due to being here midday and the world and his wife out fishing every available margin.

I quickly moved on and stopped at Ramin Crater viewpoint for my annual view of the view but also collected Pale Crag Martins, More Bee-eaters, Brown-necked Ravens and a White-crowned Black Wheatear to go with the Mourning Wheatear I had along the road earlier on the drive south.

I caught some shut eye for an hour along the road before pressing onto Neot Smedar Sewage ponds which was quite in general but had a fine Rufous Bush Robin.

Yotvata Sewage Ponds likewise was not a patch on last year but had several Squacco Herons, Wood Sandpiper, a superb male Namaqua Dove and not much else.

The fields have been harvested and were virtually birdless just before dusk, no pipits, larks (other than a few Crested) or wagtails save for 1 Ashy-headed. No roosting raptors either and it may be hard to see if it will be productive for birding the fields from here on, at least till next March.

That's it a slow start but some entertaining birds.

Wind slight and in the north so probably give the Honey's a try in the morning but not expecting much.

24 & 25 April

Pleasant flight with EasyJet. Captain advised us Israel experiencing heat wave: 37C! Arrived about 15 mins late. Quickly through controls and security and on way in Budjet Car Rental, Hyundai Automatic 1000 cc south to Urim. Arrived around 2230. Temps now a pleasant 21C.

25 April

Wandered around Kibbutz before breakfast. Spotted Flycatcher, singing Turtle Dove and Eastern Olivaceous Warbler.

Headed south towards Mitzpe Ramon and birder some orchards:
Turtle Doves
Spotted Flys
Rufous Bush Chats
E. Oli Warblers
White Wags
Flava Wags
Masked Shrike

Good selection of Raptors:
Egyptian Vulture 2
C. Buzzard
Long-legged Buzzard
Booted Eagle
Short-toed eagle

Headed back a little north to meet up with Tuvia Khan at Lake Yeruham where they were holding a Birding Festival: very professional it was. Also spoke to Yarron and Eyal, both friends of mine.

Caught up with my second Rose-colured Starling for Israel found a few days earlier by Noam Weiss. My other was in March 1999 at km 20 alongside Grey hypocolius. Also Golden Oriole by the lakeside and Honey Buzzard and Short-toed Eagle overhead.

Checked a few of the nearby Mediterranean ‘type’ hillsides:
Spectacled Warbler – several
Turtle Doves
Woodchat Shrikes
Off then on the long drive to Ketura arriving 2130hrs. Checked in, shower and to bed in my very plesasant surroundings.

Cheers for now.

Frank

26 April

Up and away with packed breakfast arrived Holland Park, Eilat for first light. Seemed very quiet so headed up into Eilat Mtns and perched myself on Mt. Yoash. Was joined by Shachar Alterman and Avnir Cohen around 0900hrs.

In 3 hours:
Honey Buzzard c.200
E. Sparrowhawk 3
Booted Eagle single
Marsh Harrier – 3 cream crowns
Pair Hooded Wheatear nearby

Canada Park, Eilat
Spotted Flycatcher 2
C. Restart single
E. Oli Warbler 2

KM20 Salt Pans
Little Stint c.250
Curlew Sand - 2
Wood Sand – reasonable numbers
Green Sand – reasonable numbers
Common Sand - wave going through
Ringed Plover
Bar-tailed Godwit
White-winged Black Ter
Kentish Plover
Ruff
Bl-winged Stilt
G. Flamingo
Honey Buzzard
E. Bee-eater – several north
Barn swallow
Sand Martin
Flava Wagtails

Ketura Sewage:
C. Snipe – one flushed several times. Called several times and photographed.
Flava Wagtails
Red-throated Pipit
Water Pipit
Sedge Warbler
Dead Sea Sparrow male
Common, Wood and Green Sands
Little Stint
Bl-winged Stile
Honey Buzzard
E. Sparrowhawk

Lotan:
Booted Eagle pale
C. Kestrel
C. Redstart

Yotvata:
Squacco 9
Barn Swallow
Sand Martin
Barbary Falcon

Cheers

Frank

27 April

Ne’ot Samadar

Barred Warbler single
E. Oli Warbler 3+
L. Whitethroat 4+
Blackcap 10+
Masked Shrike – single
Rufous Bush Chat 5 singing
Spotted Flycatcher 4+

Yotvata Sewage:
No real change.
Namaqua Dove pair.
Honey Buzzard – perhaps as many as 50 came to drink.
Marsh Harrier cream crown

Cheers

Frank

28 April

Headed a little north of Lotan
Blackcap c.50
L. Whitethroat c.20
Barred Warbler single
Masked Shrike 7 – 8
E. Bee-eater – several groups north
Barn Swallow
Pale Crag Martin
Blackstart 20+
E. Oli Warbler 8 min
Honey Buzzard 2 over but stream a little to south was heading east.
Sand Partridge 6+
Scrub Warbler heard
Hooded Wheatear pair
E. Orphean Warbler single.

Ketura Sewage:
No real change inc C. Snipe still present.

Yotvata Sewage:
Less birds.
Honey Buzzard 2 to drink.

KM19 – 20 Canal
Pied Kingfisher 2

KM20
Red-necked Phalarope – at least 13
H. Buzzard 3
White-winged Bl Terns 6
Grey Plover 2
Barwit single
Avocet single
Greenshank single
LRP
R. Plover c.20
Ruff single
L. Stint c.250
Common Sands – present but clear out
Green and Wood Sand – present

Ne’ot Samadar:
E. Oli Warb;er 4+
R-bush Chat at least 5 singing
Honey Buzzard 2
Marsh Harrier single cream crown
Spott Fly 3
E. Bee-eater 16+
Blackcap
L. Whitethroat
C. Whitethroat – been a few of these around most days.

Will do a summary for these few days tomorrow.

Cheers

Frank

Work is being undertaken at Yotvata Sewage Ponds whereby the reedbed around the best pools is being removed so it is unlikely to be a hot spot for crakes again any time soon :-C

I've not done much of updates since arriving, lots of birding, editing photos etc meant little time to do any updates unless I stay up really late.

So I will summarise here the past few days.

It's been ruddy hot all week, again temp today topping 38degree's. There has been very few migrants around in the south and it took a few days to actually get a Lesser Whitethroat but things seem to be picking up a bit now, 100+ Blackcaps at Yahel.

So highlights: Black Bush Robin at Samar eventually gave itself up, several Ortolan Buntings, Wryneck and Silverbill also seen there whilst searching. Found a nice Cream-coloured Courser in Uvda Valley, numerous Eastern Olli's, a barred Barred Warbler, a Olive-tree Warbler today just north of Doum Palms along the highway, 10 White-eyed Gulls, White-cheeked Tern off North Beach, nice lingering flock of Red-necked Phalaropes, some looking the nuts.., Bee-eaters scattered around, couple of great days in the mountains with the Honey Buzzards with some many thousands on both days, Steppe, Lesser Spotted, Short-toed and Booted Eagles and of course, best to last, finding the Dark-chanting Goshawk whilst dipping Arabian Warbler.

Called it a day earlier than usual today as just to damn hot and the oomph finally left my bones. Nice wedding going on at the Kibbutz....

Sorry not been updating. Accident with water meant my phone was out of action until it dried out - now okay, but the power supply to my laptop was ruined. Managed to get hold of another so I'll do a summary tonight hopefully.

Cheers

Frank

I hope Frank doesn't mind me adding a few sightings I had in the last couple of days in Israel. We spent a few days down South in Ezuz. Not a huge number of birds, but some really nice ones:
4 Macqueens bustards
Several European rollers
Grey shrikes
A huge tree full of nests of Spanish sparrows
A spotted eagle (I think)
Lots of buzzards, exact species to be determined
Still quite a few storks
Far off a huge flock of pelicans
Ponds near Nizzana have us:
Lots of little Grebes, black-winged stilts, at least 4 Namaqua doves and three species of sandgrouse, pintailed, spotted and black-bellied. To name a few......
Drive up North:
More rollers, white-crowned wheatear, griffons (at ein Avdat), fantailed ravens, tristrams grackles and more.

Can't wait to see what the next days will bring. No bee eaters yet :( hopefully when I visit Hula or the Bet Shean area.

Lots of Honey Buzzards over KM19 between the Salt Ponds and Sewage Lagoon, some 5000+ with an estimated 100-150 birds coming down to drink in the canal itself including a likely female Oriental Honey Buzzard. Just need to sort that photo out.

There were also HBs at Yotvata coming to drink with the shot being my absolute favourite of the entire trip to date.

Other birds today included 9 Gull-billed Terns at the Ponds along with an increase in waders, Curlew Sands up, Avocets in, Red-necked Phalaropes scattered around.

Attachments

• 01 Honey Buzzard Standard Yotvata Israel 03-05-2014 WEB.jpg
    01 Honey Buzzard Standard Yotvata Israel 03-05-2014 WEB.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 138
Jonathan Meyrev has kindly confirmed my ID of this bird as a Oriental Honey Buzzard, a female.

Today there was a lot more migrants around the wadi at Yahel with a dozen or so Thrush Nightingales, several Barred Warblers and Golden Orioles, 6+ Eastern Olivaceous Warblers, Common Swifts moving through and lots of Blackcaps etc.

Just by the car I came across a small sylvia warbler which I initially considered to be a Menetries Warbler but as this would be exceptionally late it may be a Subalpine, itself also very late, but features of the bird are more supportive of Menetries. I will have to do some research before putting a final name to it.

In the late afternoon finally connected with Broad-billed Sandpipers with three at the Salt Pans. the first found by Frank and two together on the southern lagoon later.

Only a couple more days to go before heading home

Attachments

• Oriental Honey Buzzard KM19 Canal Israel 03-05-2014 WEB 94B2958.jpg
    Oriental Honey Buzzard KM19 Canal Israel 03-05-2014 WEB 94B2958.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 120
Its also been mad hot for birding past few days with temps highest yet today, it was 37degree's C at 8.30am this morning, that's mad. Peaked at 41degree's C at 4pm.

Its hard to do birding in these conditions, its as tough job but someones got to do it. |8)|

Probably same temps expected for tomorrow so best birding will be first couple of hours in the morning.

Just had Bee-eaters calling over Lotan and its been dark 2 hours.

Hi Folks,

I can confirm it's been warm, although it was beautifully pleasant for the last hour tonight at the North Beach on a hazy evening with cool southerly winds. Perfect. Nothing arrived though: White-cheeked Tern was best but lots of Common and two Sandwich and good numbers of White-eyed Gulls leaving Jordan to roost in Israel plus a single Sooty Shearwater.

Passerines have been arriving over the last two days: pick of the day for me was a corking Olive Tree Warbler at Elifaz. Superb.

Nice OHB Steve.

I will complete my reports when I get back.

Cheers

Frank

29 April

Began first light in the acacias north of Lotan:
Red-backed Shrike – male
Barred Warbler – 2
E. Olivaceous Warbler – c.12
Scrub Warbler
L. Whitethroat
G. Whitethroat
Blackcap
Blackstart
Masked Shrike – 3+
Honey Buzzard
Barn Swallow
Pale Crag Martin

DARK CHANTING GOSHAWK
Returned to Lotan Tea House for a storming breakfast. Noam Weiss and his team from Germany joined me a few minutes later. It was at this point I noticed I’d got a text from Steve Arlow reporting a Dark Chanting Goshawk just down the road, a few kms south of Yotvata, on the west side. Off we went.

After some time, 20 mins, Noam relocated the bird heading north from the Samar area, where me and Steve were watching from. Fortunately it landed on a pylon so we all had the opportunity to study it. It remained in the general area using various pylons for much of the afternoon.

Itai Shanni cautiously identified it as a possible Eastern Chanting Goshawk, a first for the Western Palearctic. There is one historical record of DCG in Israel going back some 35 years or more. One critical feature was the presence of narrow, equally spaced gray and white barring on the undertail coverts, visible through my scope and which was later clearly illustrated in photographs.

And so Dark Chanting it was. Still a great find.

Ne’ot Samadar
Mix was typical of previous days:
E. Bee-eaters
Northern Wheatear - 1
Tree Pipit – 4

The end of a great day and a highly exciting one.

Cheers

Frank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back