• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Blyth's Reed Warbler? From Kuwait! (1 Viewer)

alsirhan

birdwatcher in Kuwait
Hi all,

I photographed this bird today; it was 25m away so at first I thought it was a normal Reed Warbler, looking at the photographs at home I tentatively identified it as a Blyth's Reed Warbler because of the following:

1- Short primary projection.
2- A dark area near the tip of the lower mandible.
3- Upperparts uniform olive grey.
4- A buff supercilium extending just after the eye.
4- Rump and uppertail coverts are not rufous.
6- Dark grey legs and toes (almost black).
7- Pale alula.
8- Bill is long and deeper than that of a Reed Warbler.

Alsirhan

Attachments

• 20070825_999_23_.jpg
    20070825_999_23_.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 20070825_999_24_.jpg
    20070825_999_24_.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 20070825_999_13_.jpg
    20070825_999_13_.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20070825_999_20_.jpg
    20070825_999_20_.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 20070825_999_15_.jpg
    20070825_999_15_.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 175
Hi Alsirhan,

Subjective as it may be but I find it looks too big for a Blyth's Reed Warbler (and emarginations do not seem right for instance). Did you consider a "big" Acrocephalus, Acrocephalus stentoreus (Clamorous Reed Warbler) for instance ?

As a rule I tend to look at the photo's before looking at other peoples thoughts on these threads, immediate thoughts were Clamourous Reed so pleased to see similar thinking from the others.:t:

Hi all,

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a large bulky bird into the reeds from c. 20m and noticed with my naked eyes the short wings, I approached and took these photographs. This bird looks as large as Great Warbler, much larger than the bird I saw in August. It is in no doubt a Clamorous Reed Warbler. So what was the bird of August

Alsirhan

Attachments

• _MG_5297 copy.jpg
    _MG_5297 copy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 114
  • _MG_5298 copy.jpg
    _MG_5298 copy.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 149
  • _MG_5301 copy.jpg
    _MG_5301 copy.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 156
  • _MG_5303 copy.jpg
    _MG_5303 copy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 139
Hello Alsirhan!

Very nice images!

The combination of emargination on p8 only narrows it down to either Great Reed and Basra Reed. Characters like bill size, short wing, dark legs is not good for Great Reed, and all the mentioned characters except the short wing is better for Basra.

JanJ

Hi there,

To me, the first bird is Clamorous reed, as previously stated. The second is Basra reed.

When I saw BRW in Kuwait this spring I was struck by how superficially similar they looked to Great reed, as with this bird. #the primary projection does give it away though.

Where in Kuwait was the photo taken, Alsirhan?

Sean

Clamorous Reed Warbler

Hello Hannu, JanJ, Sean and all,

I still think the bird in post #8 is Clamorous Reed Warbler, I saw the bird in the reed, was definitely a large bulky bird, shakes the reed stems as it moves through. It is of the ssp. brunnescens. This ssp. described by K. Baker in "Warblers of Europe ...." as having upperparts more olive-grey than those of nominate form, and whiter below with only faint buffish suffusion to flanks.
Compared to Great Reed Warbler Baker says: Clamorous, of the subspecies A. S. brunnescens , may be difficult, sometimes impossible, to separate from worn Great Reed Warbler (especially subspecies A. a. zarudnyi). Generally, A. S. brunnescens is paler olive-brown or greyish-olive on the upperparts and is paler and whiter below, with a smaller area of greyish olive-buff to sides of body. However, plumage tone differences between the two species are very marginal. Nevertheless, the reduced, shorter, whiter supercilium, slightly longer and thinner bill, shorter primary projection (two-thirds of tertial length, as opposed to about equall length), with 6-7 primary tips visible beyond tertials, and slightly longer looking and more graduated tail are best features to use in establishing identification.
Also Baker adds this when comparing nominate Clamorous with Great Reed: Also, Clamorous has longer, slimmer, more finely pointed, and slightly decurved bill; more rounded end to tail;.

When compared with Basra, Baker says: A. S. brunnescens is rather darker and more olivaceous above than nominate, and approaches the tone of Basra Reed. Basra, however, has a much slimmer bill, a shorter and squarer tail, and much more pronounced primary projection, being one third longer than A. S. brunnescens (about equal to tertial length). The face markings are stronger than those of Clamorous Reed, with well-developed white supercilium which contrast with dark eye-stripe and dark lore.

Also from Baker, the moult of Blyth's Reed Warbler: Apparently northern population may not moult at all untill wintering areas reached, whereas those in southern breeding range undertake quite extensive head and body moult, mid July to early August, finishing mid or late August. Moult suspended shortly before migration and continued soon after arrival in northern India, early August to mid September, completed by mid October or November.

I think the bird in post #1 is Blyth's Reed Warbler in moult stage, a bird from southern population still undergoing post-breeding moult (25 August the date of photograph). This moult makes the bird look unusual. I saw the bird from c25m, thought it was European Reed Warbler because of size.

Compare the Blyth's Reed from India, a bird from northern population probably in active moult, in December and see it looks similar to the bird of post #1.

The following link shows a Blyth's Reed Warbler wintering in India, click next to see more photographs.

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...=1&PHPSESSID=320598eb659b937ca21ccb9fcccb8fdc

BTW. the bird in post #8 was photographed at Jahra East Outfall.

Best wishes,

Alsirhan

Last edited:
Hi Alsirhan

I'm still not seeing Blyth's reed in post 1. To me, th ebill is consistently too long and the bird seems to show six exposed primaries. It hought BRW should show seven or eight?

The jizz just looks wrong.

I didn't see Clamorous when in Kuwait, but did see Basra at Jahra east. To me, the bird in post 8 looks like the ones I saw, and agrees with the description you have given out of the book. Clamorous would surely have a thinner, longer-looking bill than the bird in post 8 - like the bird in post 1 for example!

Obviously can't comment on size of first bird, but maybe if it was as small as a standard Reed warbler it could be the eastern form of that species?

Sean

Alsirhan,
There are several reasons, why your bird in post 1 is NOT Blyth's Reed. I mentions here only few of them:
1)The colour of upperparts
2) The lenght of tertials
3) The roundess of tail feathers
4) The number of emargination in primaries

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back