• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits - Usk Res, Mid Wales (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Hi all. Apologies for the naff photos(it was very cold and windy today) but there roughly half a dozen pipits on the grassy slope by Usk Res this afternoon. Are they all "just" Meadows or were they a mixed flock?. Some had finer streaking and some were distinctly greyer if that makes sense? All appeared to have yellowish bills.

Many thanks for any assistance,

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4154.jpg
    IMG_4154.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4168.JPG
    IMG_4168.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4177.JPG
    IMG_4177.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 139
I'd say they are all Meadow Pipits Rich. Was this the grass bank near the dam?
Yup. My two boys were scurrying back to the car as it was too cold for them. The colour variation was quite distinct amongst such a small group. I've got my Collins guide out and just ended up confusing myself - not hard to do though;)

Don't know if you're still recording sightings but there was a Green Woody outside of Llangadog this afternoon.

Thanks for the confirmation:t:

Rich

Yup. My two boys were scurrying back to the car as it was too cold for them. The colour variation was quite distinct amongst such a small group. I've got my Collins guide out and just ended up confusing myself - not hard to do though;)

Don't know if you're still recording sightings but there was a Green Woody outside of Llangadog this afternoon.

Thanks for the confirmation:t:

Rich

I find Pipits hard to ID, especially as you say with the variation!

Thanks for that - the Green Woodies research has taken a back burner recently but I'm still interested in sightings, thanks!

Another Meadow Pipit?

Hope nobody minds anothero:D These are all the same bird taken at Cors Caron Reserve, Ceredigion, UK today. I'm struggling to equate the supercilium to a Meadow Pipit so clearly it's a Meadow Pipit. 3:) I should have added that there were dozens of what I thought were clearly Meadow Pipits and Skylarks on the 7km river walk.

Thanks, as always for any advice,

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4484.JPG
    IMG_4484.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4487.JPG
    IMG_4487.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4492.JPG
    IMG_4492.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Chris. And for the explanation. I later came to the same conclusion after looking at heaps of pictures on the web. I did find myself going back and fore though.

Thanks again,

Rich

Cwm Cadlan, South Wales, UK today

I've had a look through guides and checked historical threads so here goes. Long hind claw, fine bill, relatively thick stripes to flanks make this a Meadow Pipit at the top of a tree?

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4681.JPG
    IMG_4681.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4687.JPG
    IMG_4687.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back