• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil- maned wolf , giant anteaters and birds of Canastra and caraca (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Brazil- 2018 maned wolf , giant anteaters and birds of Canastra and caraca

Hi all

I am planning a trip to Brazil next year, probably September but my dates are wide open at the moment. I am looking for people to join me for about six nights covering serra do Canastra and the monastery at caraca that's famous for maned wolf. Probably four night at Canastra and the rest at caraca. Emphasis will be on finding the mammal highlights and general birding/photography. Could be open to adding a couple of extra days for other sites.

My plan is to combine this with some time in the Pantanal. I already have a friend who I am planning that part of the trip with but she isn't able to join me for this extension.

If anyone is interested or has any advice on local guides to deal with please let me know!

Jo

We did this trip without guides - it was very straightforward using trip reports available on Cloudbirders etc. Hire car is essential and the Maned Wolves and Giant Anteaters were absolutely amazing. It took two days in Canastra to see an anteater but then we saw loads once we had 'got our eye in'. Several times we parked the car and ran out into the grassland to see them from point blank range. They have very poor eyesight so are very easy to approach - just don't get so close that you suddenly scare one when it realises you are there - they can do some damage with those claws! Brazilian Merganser was fantastic too.

Thanks for the response. I wold certainly be up for splitting the cost of self driving if others were interested in doing it that way but I certainly wouldn't be up for trying this option alone as I have never driven abroad nor have I driven at home for a few years.

For anyone else who might be interested, the current plan is looking like (in no particular order ):

Six nights split 4/2 between canastra national park - supposed to be best place to find giant anteater plus chance of Maned wolf plus great birding including the Brazilian merganser. And the monastery at Caraça where maned wolf is habituated.

This is coming in at around 1600 US per person all in with transfers to and from belo horizonte, with a guide recommended by Tropical Birding based on two single rooms . Other quotes have been a bit higher and this guy seems flexible enough that we can do some night drives too which aren't permitted inside the park. A female room share would be more ideal but not a deal breaker and I would be happy for this part of the tour to run with minimum of two up to 4 participants.

Then I have been planning to return to north pantanal with the guide I used before, julhino from pantanal trackers. For this section I have been planning this with a friend who came with me to Borneo. We could look at adding one or two more, but we are also currently content to run with just the two of us. Our plan is to split the time:

3 nights pousada alegre
4 nights at carmindo's homestay (camping) beyond Porto Jofre
2 nights at pousada piuval

Cost for this section is (quote us in Brazilian real ):
3 people R$ 5.200
2 people R$7.050

We are debating whether to have a night in porto jofre either in place of a night camping (works out about £40 more) or in place of a night at Piuval.

Then my friend wants to fly to south pantanal for four nights at San Francisco farm which has a rep for ocelot. I also hope to do this bit as well. The details of San Francisco farm packages can be found here: http://www.fazendasanfrancisco.tur....es-fazenda-san-francisco-roteiro-dia-a-dia/7/

They are customisable and we will be looking at maximising wildlife related activities of course, including night drives.

Note there are several internal flights and obviously international flights to be added to these costs.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back