• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few of my paintings (1 Viewer)

Hi. I've been working on painting several of the birds of North America on wood panels. I've been learning so much about the birds and about painting. It's been a very fun project. Here's a couple of them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 124
I like the unique support approach you're using. They all have a definite style to them as well, apart from the unique support. Nice to see your work here!

While they are definitely painted, they have an embroidered look about them which is rather unique. Nice. Are you sealing the wood panels off with a varnish of some sort to stop them greying?

Thank you both for your positive feedback. Trevor, I hadn't thought about the greying, that's a good point I'll need to address. In the past I've sealed some with a light coating of an aerosol clear coat, but I'm not a fan of those vapors and since I work in my apartment I don't have a good place to apply clear coats.
I'm always trying to learn more, and these paintings allow so much of that. Last night I finished up an eastern meadowlark.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 91
Thank you both for your positive feedback. Trevor, I hadn't thought about the greying, that's a good point I'll need to address. In the past I've sealed some with a light coating of an aerosol clear coat, but I'm not a fan of those vapors and since I work in my apartment I don't have a good place to apply clear coats.
I'm always trying to learn more, and these paintings allow so much of that. Last night I finished up an eastern meadowlark.

Perhaps a coating of linseed oil after the painting is fully dry? Although a weathered and grey cedar panel without any coating might also give them an almost 'antique' aged look which might also be nice? Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back