• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

Excellent Matt as is your Blog. Ive spent ages working my way through it. I Just love your pencil work/fun:t:

Last edited:
Thanks Bigshent, I'm glad someone is looking at the blog!

Here is the most recent painting... another 5 x 7 inch dragonfly in watercolor. This is an Eastern Pondhawk.
Usually the paintings go along fairly smoothly, this one was almost ruined a few times. I was glad to get something decent in the end.

A WIP can be found here, going through all the mistakes that got me there.

Attachments

• pondhawkET.jpg
    pondhawkET.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 41
  • pondhawkCU.jpg
    pondhawkCU.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the comments. I double checked the blog link. It should cooperate. You do need to have a flash enabled to view the step-by-step... its the black backgrounded image with text. The arrows below allow you to progress forward or back through the images and comments.

What a beautiful little spider!

You certainly had one or two hiccups with the pondhawk, I must admit I smiled to myself at the thought of your reaction to the spitting airbrush! Turned out a good'un in the end though.

Mike

Thanks Mike... they don't always cooperate, do they?! I haven't used the airbrush in years and I guess it needed to remind me of the neglect. Lesson learned.

Time to get back into the swing of things after the holidays...
This is an ant-mimicking jumping spider that I found on the bathroom faucet one morning.

Attachments

• antJumper.gif
    antJumper.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 203
catching up a little....
A blue-spotted salamander from the woods behind the house
Our 7+ year old one-eyed pet toad (lawn mower accident)
A Daring Jumping Spider from the backyard

Attachments

• BLueSpotSal.gif
    BLueSpotSal.gif
    84.1 KB · Views: 322
  • GINK.gif
    GINK.gif
    110.2 KB · Views: 276
  • daringJS.gif
    daringJS.gif
    48.4 KB · Views: 61
These pencil sketches are great, Matty. You've got me seriously thinking about doing some pencil sketches of my own. Thanks for the inspiration. TB.

The lawnmower has added much character Matty, what a brilliat little piece that is...so very well drawn. These small works really should see the light on a publishers desktop...

Thanks all... she is a pretty toad and is hungry right now. I need to get some meal worms at the pet store!

Here is the next watercolor a marsh fly:
5x7 inch transparent watercolor
The detail image is about 2 x 3 inches
A WIP can be found here.

Attachments

• marshFin.jpg
    marshFin.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 49
  • marshCU.jpg
    marshCU.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back