• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED 50 & glasses (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hi.

I am looking for a lightweight and inexpensive travel scope. Nikon's ED 50 with the 27x WA-eyepiece seems to be the great pick.

But as I wear glasses I wonder if it works for me? Any experience?

Kilian

Hi Kilian
I wear glasses and use the Nikon ED50 with zoom eyepiece and have had no problems. I love using the scope and would have no hesitation in recommending it. Others on the forum may suggest you try the Opticron GS52 which is of similar weight/build/optical performance to the ED50 and suits some spectacle wearers better.
Hope that helps
Hobbes

Hi.

I am looking for a lightweight and inexpensive travel scope. Nikon's ED 50 with the 27x WA-eyepiece seems to be the great pick.

But as I wear glasses I wonder if it works for me? Any experience?

Kilian

Same here. I have tried most of the eyepieces and the 27x MC has a twist up eyecup if you require adjustment. Great scope

It depends mostly on the glasses, but I use ED50/MC 27xw with no problems at all, I get full FOV and recommend it.

Thanks for your opinions. I think I will go for the ED 50. :)

Haven't heard of the Opticron GS 52, yet and could not find any reviews or comparisons to Nikon's ED 50 unfortunately... :-(

The 27x WF, MC and DS fieldscope eyepieces have lots of eye-relief--around 17 or 18mm as I recall, so they work well for most glasses wearers. The Nikon zooms are a different story.

--AP

Yes great little scope especially with those carrying lots of gears during birding such as bino, camera with long lens and ect :)

My favorite scope for longer trek in the rainforest hehehe

I wear glasses and dont recomend the ed50. The eye relief is miniscule. compare with the opticron !

apart from eye relief its a great scope for the weight.

I wear glasses and DO recommend the ED50 over all other light scopes. The zoom eyepiece does have low eye relief [though that can be an advantage if you are very short-sighted], but the fixed eyepieces do not.

I have used the nikon zoom on a Fieldscope III ED with for many years. Regarding glasses and eye relief a lot depends on the style of glasses used. I.E. how close they fit to your eyes.

I would say "try before you buy" for either binoculars or scope if you are a glasses wearer. I have ED50 and zoom and it worked well with my previous set of glasses but not so well with my current (full varifocal, "stylish") pair.

A bit late here, but I found that I could use the ED50 with a 27x MC ep, but it wasn't completely comfortable and I often took my glasses off to use it. With a 16x DS ep, however, it's fine. I agree with pdwinter that you would be well advised to try it out first if you can.

Michael

A bit late here, but I found that I could use the ED50 with a 27x MC ep, but it wasn't completely comfortable and I often took my glasses off to use it. With a 16x DS ep, however, it's fine. I agree with pdwinter that you would be well advised to try it out first if you can.

Michael

There is also a 27x DS eyepiece available (and a 40x DS) and these are the ones i find best to use with my glasses. OK not as handy as a zoom lens but i prefer a fixed lens (i don't get on with the tunnel effect on the zooms) so i am quite prepared to change the lens to suit the situation.

Meanwhile the ED50 with 27x wide MC eyepiece has arrived. And (for me) it works very well with glasses!
It is really impressive how this small scope performs!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back