• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Messy background (1 Viewer)

Pete007

Although I've previously tried to get to the bottom of the issue I would appreciate any advice or feedback what or why causes what I can only describe as a messy looking background on certain areas of some photos.
I am not entirely sure if the root cause is at the picture taking stage or with the post processing. My gut feeling is it appears to be present to some extent on the images even before any processing takes place.
I include an image which illustrates the issue which represents approx 25% of the original image.
Technical info includes -
Canon Eos1 mk 4 camera
Iso 200
No Flash

Any feedback concerning the cause or indeed a remedy would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Background.jpg
    Background.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 85
To smooth out backgrounds in general, throw them out of focus by opening up the lens to the extent necessary. Experimenting by taking the same photo with progressively wider apertures would be a good way to get a feel for this. But as far as the present photo is concerned, I don't see much wrong with the background as it is.

Appreciate the comment but not sure the aperture is really the issue here.
The photograph was taken with an aperture of f4 largely for the reasons you mention whilst maintaining enough depth of field to keep the flower head sharp.
The background was at least another 30-40 meters behind this.

To smooth out backgrounds in general, throw them out of focus by opening up the lens to the extent necessary. Experimenting by taking the same photo with progressively wider apertures would be a good way to get a feel for this. But as far as the present photo is concerned, I don't see much wrong with the background as it is.

Appreciate the comment but not sure the aperture is really the issue here.
The photograph was taken with an aperture of f4 largely for the reasons you mention whilst maintaining enough depth of field to keep the flower head sharp.
The background was at least another 30-40 meters behind this.

Fair enough. I'm not sure what you mean by "messy" then? What exactly is your problem with the background (which looks fine on my iPad)?.

What I am referring to regards a 'messy background' is the apparent blotchiness in some areas.
It appears most obvious in the example where certain colours merge together i.e. green into black areas. The transition is not smooth and certainly appears quite 'blotchy' on my screen which is a desktop iMac.
I'm not entirely sure if it's quite as apparent if viewed on a smaller screen size.
To better highlight the area's I am referring I have now arrowed these on the attached example.
As far as I am aware I do not have any issues with my screen itself so hopefully people can see the areas and problem that I am trying to describe.

Fair enough. I'm not sure what you mean by "messy" then? What exactly is your problem with the background (which looks fine on my iPad)?.

Attachments

• Background arrows .jpg
    Background arrows .jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 69
What I am referring to regards a 'messy background' is the apparent blotchiness in some areas.
It appears most obvious in the example where certain colours merge together i.e. green into black areas. The transition is not smooth and certainly appears quite 'blotchy' on my screen which is a desktop iMac.
I'm not entirely sure if it's quite as apparent if viewed on a smaller screen size.
To better highlight the area's I am referring I have now arrowed these on the attached example.
As far as I am aware I do not have any issues with my screen itself so hopefully people can see the areas and problem that I am trying to describe.

Now that I've had a chance to examine the photo on my big desktop monitor, I think I see what you mean though just barely. My guess is that it's just a matter of minor differences in background lighting and as such should be easily fixable in post-processing, particularly if you shoot in raw. But, personally, I really don't see it as a problem.

I think it is just the edges of the out-of-focus objects in the background, you could create a feathered selection and blur them further if you are being obsessive but I think it looks fine as is.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back