• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera for swarovski AT 80 HD (1 Viewer)

Hi,
My Nikon 990 died the other day so I'm needing a new digiscoping system... I use the LE adapter with the 28mm step up ring attached and a shutter cable release... I have the older Swarovski AT 80 HD scope.
It's really frustrating having to start all over from scratch..I realize I'll have to buy a new adapter to attach a camera to my scope and was wondering what people that have my scope are using? What camera/adapter combo works best with my scope? And for the record, I never liked my 990. It was way to slow and I had to remove the adapter from the scope if I wanted to change the focusing area.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
good birding from OK,
okiebirdnerd
www.okiebirdcam.com

SRB~Griturn or Zeiss swing type adapter + Fuji F30 would, I'd guess, be a very effective combination. The Fuji is almost instant in switching on, exposing the shot and focusing; the LCD screen is bright and large. Look for more information on the SRB~Griturn and ZBirding websites.

I use the Canon Powershot S60 (since superseded by the S70 and S80) and have been pleased with the results. I use the adaptor that Canon sell specifically for these cameras and the Swarovski DCA.

All the shots in my gallery have been taken with the Swarovski/Canon combination. They can be viewed by clicking on my name, below, if desired.

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the SRB~Griturn on their website. I wish they weren't so high priced. I'll have to check out the Zeiss swing type adapter and see how they're priced. I'll probably go with the Fuji F30.I've seem impressive images taken with it. Can a shutter release be attached? If not, how are people rigging it up?.
Guess I need to check on how much it will cost to repair my 990 . The plastic hinge that holds the batteries in broke off:(

Canon A95 is worth checking out. Simple to use and takes good images. Click on blog link below to view results...
ATS80 is a fine scope, you will get great photos with it on board..

Hi,
I went to the link you provided and the photos have been removed. It didn't have the name of the adapter...all it said was 'universal' so without a photo I'm not sure what to google.
I used the 2Plus LE-Adapter with my 990. I added a link showing what it looks like below. I have ordered the F30 but haven't received it yet.
So are you saying the adapter you added the link to would work with my current adapter to swing the camera away. I'm sorry to sound so lame but I'm a visual person so I'm not understanding how they work together.
http://www.lensadapter.net/2plus-le-adapter.htm

thanks for your time,
okiebirdnerd

www.okiebirdcam.com

Hello,
You have beautiful birds where you live. I enjoyed looking at your photos.
I have just ordered the f30 and once I have it in hand I'll figure out what I'll need to use it with my at80hd scope. A lot of the new adapters fit the newer/smaller Swarovski scopes. Guess I'll have to see about rigging up a shutter release, I didn't even check to see if the camera adapts for one.

I'm sure this camera will be a whole new experience for me and I'm looking forward to having a faster camera. I really missed out on a lot of bird photos cause the 990 was so slow between shots.
good birding from OK!
okiebirdnerd

www.okiebirdcam.com

buzzard12 said:
Canon A95 is worth checking out. Simple to use and takes good images. Click on blog link below to view results...
ATS80 is a fine scope, you will get great photos with it on board..

Another Old Swarovski User

Hi

Have enjoyed reading this thread. I am using an old grey Swarovski Habicht AT80 (not HD) together with Nikon Coolpix 4500. The adapter is the screw on type provided by EagleEye Optics here in England.

It is a bit of a pain having to screw it on power up refind the bird etc.

I would be very interested to hear how Okiebirdnred gets on.

Have been digiscoping for just a couple of months and whilst I do get a few decent shots am quite green with envy of some of the pictures in the galleries.

Using the scope at 20 and the camera at 3 or 4 mag to get rid of the vignetting I find it difficult to get the picture in sharp focus because such a slight movement of the focus ring brings it in and out of focus, particularly with an LCD sreen little more than 3cms across. Any advice?

Would also welome any suggestions on improving the kit I have either to make it easier to use and /or noticably improve the pictures I get. Am not in the market for a new scope yet but would love to be able to swing the camera over and away instead of the screw on

Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated

okiebirdnerd said:
I went to the link you provided and the photos have been removed. It didn't have the name of the adapter...all it said was 'universal' so without a photo
Hi,

You probably mean my message. Sorry about not mentioning the company name: the manufacturer is apparently a Polish company called "FoxFoto". The adapter does not swing out, you attach it to the tripod thread of the camera and it provides "universally adjustable" filter threads, which can then be screwed into tube adapters. Here is some illustration, which hopefully explains a little more http://www.foxfoto.pl/index.php?strona=15.php.

I am not completely sure what the adapter's thread diameter was, but if that was 37mm, you may have to use a 37->28mm step-down ring between the FoxFoto and LCE adapters.

However, If you prefer a swing-out style adapter I can only echo scampo's recommendation about the SRB Griturn. I use their adapter with the AT80HD - and it does work very well.

Hope this helps :t:

Ilkka

The SRB sounds like what I'll need for my AT80HD. It just seems like the mount it uses to attach to my scope eye piece is like my LE adapter. Anyway, are you using the F30 camera? If so, did you rig up a remote release. I'd feel better about ordering if the web site said exactly what I need with my scope and the f30. I'm just leery since I have an older scope that isn't straight through. At one point someone had instructed me to buy a product and the web site said it wasn't for angled scopes.
thanks so much for your help!
okiebirdnerd
www.okiebirdcam.com

I think I'll wait until my camera arrives so I can see if it works with the adapter I have first. I saw somewhere on this web site where a person crafted a tube that fit over the scopes angled eye piece and the camera rested on a plate against the tube... It looked like the tube could be lifted off without affecting my 20x60 eye piece since there weren't set screws.With the camera at an angle it looked like a promising set up. Anyway, I thought it might work for you too.I hope there is someone here that night be able to redirect me to that post so I can ask the creator a few questions. I mistakenly closed my browser and lost where I read it:(
www.okiebirdcam.com

okiebirdnerd said:
It just seems like the mount it uses to attach to my scope eye piece is like my LE adapter.
Yes, the mount covers the eyepiece totally, like the LE-adapter. It has a thin rubber coating which eg. protects the eyeglasses from scratches.

Anyway, are you using the F30 camera? If so, did you rig up a remote release. I'd feel better about ordering if the web site said exactly what I need with my scope and the f30.
No, I am using a Panasonic FX01, but there are so many happy Fuji owners that I am sure it is a good (maybe the best) buy. The adapter contains a bracket arm for a cable release and I already owned one (or should I have said "pwned"... to a nerd :-O ). Actually this adapter works better with an angled scope, because that way the camera stays accurately in on- and off-position with gravity.

You could perhaps contact Terry Fogden directly, who is a BF member and works for SRB. I am sure he knows everything you would like to know about their adapters. They also make so called alignment collars, which sounds like what you described in your last post.

Best of luck,

Ilkka

My F30 finally came in and I was surprised to see how tiny it is. I didn't even try to take any photos until I made a makeshift adapter to hold it up to the angles eye piece on my at80hd.
I'm still leery of ordering the SRB swing away adapter since they don't seem to have the problem with side light coming in between the scope and camera fixed..We have sun almost every day here and it would be a serious problem. It's bad enough having to fight our Oklahoma winds..anyway, I made my adapter from three sizes of pvc and I used four small pieces of Velcro to hold the adapter to my camera. It's not a perfect set up but it sure is easy to turn the camera to any angle and reattach. I'm not about to complain with only 3.00 invested:)
In the end I think I'd much rather prefer using a shutter release set up like the srb-griturn comes with. I paid 225.00 for my F30 (New)and the SRB is 166.00 US. I wouldn't bat an eye if it didn't have the side light problem..
Anyway, I didn't do anything to the photo (not even sharpening). All I did was crop and resize. I also need to mention it was taken through triple pane glass that is far from being clean with all our snow fall here on Oklahoma the past few weeks.
With every photo I took with my 990 I always said, "With some work in Photoshop to remove noise and lighten,this will be a great photo" I don't see that ever happening with this camera..All considered and having only taken 9 photos, I'm a happy camper:) I see a happy future with this little camera....life without NOISE will be wonderful:) I can't wait! I'm not sure if my photo attached or not.
Thanks to everyone for all your help.
good birding,
okiebirdnerd
www.okiebirdcam.com

Attachments

• a-gold-finch-first-try.jpg
    a-gold-finch-first-try.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 324
Glad to hear you are happy with the F30 - it is a great combination with the AT80HD. :t:

okiebirdnerd said:
I wouldn't bat an eye if it didn't have the side light problem..
You can easily and completely get rid of it eg. by taping a short piece of toilet paper roll as a sunshade on the camera - or on the adapter barrel.

Regards,

Ilkka

ps. If you start to wish for a wider field of view, the 20xSW eyepiece is an excellent digiscoping wide-angle for the AT80HD (with the F30).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back