• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (3 Viewers)

Very nice piece! I do an annual float trip down the Deschutes River in central Oregon, and that is high desert rattler country, so we see quite a few (and hear many more). Ours though, I think, are Pacific Diamondbacks...? It always gets your attention when you start down a bank toward the river and hear the telltale buzz that says, 'not this way, pal!'

Thanks! The timber rattlers are relatively docile creatures... especially considering the weaponry they have at their disposal. I found this guy under a rock after an hour of looking for TR and copperheads. Next to it was another TR that was so well camouflaged I didn't even see it at first. They never rattled, never moved other than a flick of a tongue. They were cold. They certainly don't go around looking for trouble. Very fascinating animals.

Thanks! The timber rattlers are relatively docile creatures... especially considering the weaponry they have at their disposal. I found this guy under a rock after an hour of looking for TR and copperheads. Next to it was another TR that was so well camouflaged I didn't even see it at first. They never rattled, never moved other than a flick of a tongue. They were cold. They certainly don't go around looking for trouble. Very fascinating animals.

Happy to read about them, and see the sketch, Matty. But I've just never been able to convince myself I want to run across them in person. I was once backpacking in Yosemite and we ran into someone who said there was a rattlesnake down the trail. She said just get a running start and jump over them, backpack and all. We took another trail................

Another transparent watercolor:

Dot-tailed Whiteface Dragonfly
5x7 inches on Lana Paper

A WIP can be found here....

Attachments

• DTW.jpg
    DTW.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 62
  • DTWsm.jpg
    DTWsm.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 52
Impressive work, all of it. Of the recent pieces, I particularly like the rattlesnake.

Last edited:
The white-breasted nuthatches sure like the suet this time of year...
I used my drill press to make a more natural looking suet feeder out of an old log.

Attachments

• WBnuthatchsm.gif
    WBnuthatchsm.gif
    57.1 KB · Views: 63
Very impressive rendering, Matt! We have Red-breasted coming to our feeders year-round, but unfortunately in my area the White-breasted (and Pygmy) are not resident. Two or three years ago there was a White-breasted for about a week a couple miles from my place and it was the star attraction while it stayed.

I just finished this painting of a canada warbler.

It is transparent watercolor on Lana paper approximately 8x10 inches.
canada.jpg

also included is a painting I did a little bit ago of a yellow-night crowned heron. That one is about 6x9 inches on lana paper as well.
http://home.comcast.net/~bohanart/ycnh.jpg

The past 2 years I haven't been pulled away from the birds by other commitments. Hopefully I'll use this forum to motivate me to do some more work.I sure have found others work here inspiring.

Hi Matt,
Lovely watercolours!
I 'dapple' in watercolour too. I'm an amateur landscape artist and bird enthusiast...(not really surprising on BF...he he). If you want to have a look at my work: www.nickfegan.com.

Now what's not to love about a chippitymunk?

Great stuff.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Your work is STUNNING!
Your colours are true and the detail is 'awesome'
I love 'king of the castle' in 'What's new'. The landscape in this painting takes my breath away!. I'm a landscape artist: www.nickfegan.com. I appreciate/understand this type of work. I don't do wildlife...(food for thought now..):t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back