• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lens question (1 Viewer)

jalethbridge

I like sea-watching
Not really a birding lense question, really more of a weight vs quality question.

I currently lug around either a 17-40 f4, or the older 28-70 f2.8. Sometimes I feel the need to carry both. My camera is a 1.3x crop. I love the IQ of the 28-70, really classy straight out of the camera. The 17-40 is OK, and generally fine once processed, but clearly not as good. From 70mm, I am covered by the 70-200 f4.

As is always the case, I find if I bring everything I don't use it, and if I don't bring something I find myself wanting it.

So here is the question. I have heard very good things about the 24-105 f4 lense. Then again I heard good things about the 17-40, yet it does not compare to the 28-70. Would I be disappointed to sell the 17-40 and the 28-70, and replace them with the 24-105? I bought the 17-40 when I was using a 1.6x crop body so that kind of made sense. I don't anticipate returning to a 1.6x crop, and I don't use the wide end particularly often - only when I don't have the lense on me do I really feel like using it.... 17 vs 24 equates to 22mm vs 31mm, so a noticable difference at the wide end, but perhaps liveable with. IS on the 24-105 is probably not essential, though no doubt it helps a bit. I'd save 685g, as the 24-105 is just under half as heavy as the two lenses I currently have....

Am I suffering from a case of the grass is always greener? I really love the 28-70, I would probably miss it.

Has anyone had this dilemma?

Thanks
Jonathan

Am I suffering from a case of the grass is always greener? I really love the 28-70, I would probably miss it.

Has anyone had this dilemma?

I can't help I'm afraid but have had the same dilemma, I have the same two lenses that you do frequently consider the 24-105... I hardly ever use my 17-40 but fear I'd miss the wide end if I let it go (though 24mm on full frame is quite wide). The 28-70 f2.8 is a stunning lens, it's my most used non-birding lens and I'd be loathed to get rid of it. I've heard a lot of good about the 24-105 and it does seem like the perfect one lens solution for a lot of shooting, I'm just not convinced it's as good as the two lens option. Hopefully I'm meeting up with a friend who shoots with a 24-105 soon so I'll be able to compare them.

Last edited:
you said

it does seem like the perfect one lens solution for a lot of shooting, I'm just ---convinced it's as good as the two lens option.

Did you miss out a "not"?
When you do have the opportunity to test it out, I'd appreciate a real-use comparison. I'm sure it's very very good, but it would take a lot to beat the 28-70. I've had it for 11 years, it has performed faultlessly for all of those years. And if I sold it doubt I'd get much for it as everyone wants the extra 4mm on the replacement.

Thanks
Jonathan

you said

it does seem like the perfect one lens solution for a lot of shooting, I'm just ---convinced it's as good as the two lens option.

Did you miss out a "not"?

I did indeed miss a not, teach me to try and reply while watching CSI... I know what you mean about the 28-70 I picked one up used a few years ago and have been amazed by how well it performs. As and when I get the chance to test the 28-70 against the 24-105 I'll report back with my opinion.

I might be able to answer that, having seen the output from Postcardcv's 28-70 and its me he's referring to who uses the 24-105. I think you'll find the 24-105 doesn't have the out of camera image quality of the 28-70, its probably closer to the 17-40.
Saying that though I use the 24-105 a lot for lifestyle and studio portraiture and weddings.
With a pretty minimal sharpening action I'm totally happy at the sharpness of images I produce.
I keep thinking that i probably should swap to the 24-70 but then a scan of the exif after shoots shows how much I use the 70 to 105 range on a 1.3 crop and ff body. Changing to a 24-70 would therefore mean using the 70-200 far more and being honest I'm generally in favour of swapping kit as little as possible on shoots. And even on a short lens I'm pretty certain that IS has helped get me shots that I may have struggled with using the 24-70

I might be able to answer that, having seen the output from Postcardcv's 28-70 and its me he's referring to who uses the 24-105. I think you'll find the 24-105 doesn't have the out of camera image quality of the 28-70, its probably closer to the 17-40.

It might have been you I was referring too... ;) shuffle over to Norfolk and we can give them a good testing. I have a feeling that both lenses have pros and cons, perhaps I just need one of each!

Thanks for your input so far. Even without seeing any tests, I am fairly convinced that I need to keep the 28-70. I clearly have a good copy, and it rocks. As Paul said, images from the 17-40 need some help, but come out perfectly acceptable in the long run. But compared to the the 18-55 kit lense, it is a shining gem! For a brief period of time (and I mean brief) I had the kit lense to try out. My dad bought a camera and for an extra £30 you got the lense. I gave him the £30 and took it away to play with. I think the lense was for sale within a couple of weeks. It's good to know that you do get what you pay for when it comes to optics and lenses. It's a shame they're so expensive though.
Regards
Jonathan

I have both a (now) 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-105 f/4 lenses. And I can say that it seems that they are both very useful. On a crop camera, however for general shooting I would go with the 17-40L because of the 17mm focal length. For birding, however it would seem that the longer reach of the 24-105 would be appropriate. It's an IS lens but one does lose an f-stop, hence some control over DOF. A tough decision.

I use the 24-105 as a general "walkaround" lens and it has taken some very good photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back