• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of changing from Nikon to Canon (1 Viewer)

Ian Hardy

What reccomendations can you give with regard to camera body? and im considering the Canon 100-400mm Lens plus the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens. I would appreciate any sugestions as to the items mentioned.

Thanks

Ian

What reccomendations can you give with regard to camera body? and im considering the Canon 100-400mm Lens plus the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens. I would appreciate any sugestions as to the items mentioned.

Thanks

Ian

How much are you willing to spend on a new body? In order of price I think I'd have to recommend - 40D, 50D, 7D, 1D MkIII, 1D MkIV

Hi Marcus,

I aws looking at the EOS 7D, 50D and the EOS 5D. I have several Nikon items for sale on here so when sold the 5D and 100-400mm lens should not bea problem. The reason for change is i am just a little dissolusioned with Nikon as a whole.

Ian

7D will go well with 100-400mm

That would certainly be a killer all around setup for most uses. The 7D is about as good an APS-C as you'll find right now from any manufacturer regarding noise, per pixel res, and battery life...not to mention 8 FPS. The 100-400 L is almost legendary for zooms in this range, so I'll not bother with the praise there.

Hello Ian,

Hope you don't take this the wrong way. I've had a look at the Nikon mount items you've put up for sale, and your gallery. I can't help thinking you might be making a mistake. You have two professional cameras, and two of the best lenses around (Sigma 150mm macro and 400/2.8 VR), so if your not getting the results your hoping for, I'm not sure that changing to Canon is going to do it. It will take a lot of time and effort to change over to Canon, especially with your investment. You'll also loose some money in doing so.

The Canon 7D (perhaps at the moment the best crop sensor camera for birding) has a resolution advantage over the D300, but you'll need very good technique and favourable conditions to see this extra detail.

The Canon 5D is a camera with a full frame large MP sensor, but with a less advanced autofocus system than the 7D. Not so good for birds, but will make a great landscape and macro camera.

The Canon 100mm macro is wider than the 150mm Sigma, so I'll be better for flowers and fungi, but with less working distance so more effort will be needed for skittish dragonflies and butterflies.

Ian, looking at the images in the gallery, some do look a little soft but the exif data may explain it, shooting at 1/100 sec with that monster lens on plus a 1.7 TC cant be easy. thats the analogue equivalent of 1000mm even with vr thats a hard one to pull off. As Helios states, moving may not offer what you seek.
Since getting my 400/2.8 I have had to really concentrate on my technique, its a whole new world using those big lenses, I do get disappointed with the results but I know I'll sort it.
Happy to start a drop in group for newbies to big lenses :eek:)
I only know a few Canon users personally and they love the 400/5.6

Happy to start a drop in group for newbies to big lenses :eek:)
I only know a few Canon users personally and they love the 400/5.6

That sounds like a great idea, being a newbie (to Canon) myself with a 300/f2.8 and a 1D MkIII.

I'd swap you my 40D with my 300mmf2.8 IS + both 1.4 and 2xTC's for your setup! Only joking (well half-joking ;) ).

Seems to me you might benefit from some photography tuition. Certainly nowt wrong with your gear in my eye's, except for the weight that is! Brings me on to the next thing though, what tripod and head are you using, for a beast of a lens like that you need a heavy duty rig beneath it to give you rock solid support, that would make a big difference to your images.

Ian,

I agree with helios, keep what you have. Your lens is significantly sharper than the canon 100-400 zoom. If you think you need to go canon I would go with a prime.

kev

Hi Jaff,

I have the Gitzo GT2530 with the Kirk Cobra Head,thanks for the comments everyonE.

Cheers

Ian

Or rather you had. ;) Damn I wish I'd have spotted it sooner as I've had my eye on one of them. Can I ask what that special feature to do with the centre column that the leveliing series has was like? Was it easier to use and live with or made any difference to setting up compared to a conventional design?

At any rate, as it's all now a done deal I'd recommend if you get a similarly big Canon lens then you'd be best looking at one of the systematic range for your support. A friend of mine has just got one for use with his Canon 500mm and he doesn't know how he ever managed before, he loves it! His is the 3530LS.

Regards.
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back