• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS Lenses (1 Viewer)

Gaz Shilton

United Kingdom
Read on another forum someone kept forgetting to turn the IS off when removing the camera body.
Any reason(s) why it needs to be turned off before hand?
Many thanks

Read on another forum someone kept forgetting to turn the IS off when removing the camera body.
Any reason(s) why it needs to be turned off before hand?
Many thanks

I think its when the IS motor is running your not to take the lens off NOT when it is just on .
Rob.

I've never turned mine off. Surely, if the camera is turned off there won't be a problem. Mind you, It's been in 'sleep mode' once or twice :eek!:.
No problems yet.
If I knacked my lens up, 'I wouldn't talk for a year & a half'' ;)

I've never turned mine off. Surely, if the camera is turned off there won't be a problem. Mind you, It's been in 'sleep mode' once or twice :eek!:.
No problems yet.
If I knacked my lens up, 'I wouldn't talk for a year & a half'' ;)

Exactly!!!!
Was just curious.
Wonder why anyone would take the camera off when IS was running.
Thought it only operated when focusing, which would need the camera attached surely?

I just activated the IS motor on my lens and pulled the camera off it while it was still operating. Just as I expected, the IS stopped because the lens lost the power being supplied by the camera, but there were absolutely no ill effects. The lens and camera work as normal.

I just activated the IS motor on my lens and pulled the camera off it while it was still operating. Just as I expected, the IS stopped because the lens lost the power being supplied by the camera, but there were absolutely no ill effects. The lens and camera work as normal.

I hope no one ask you if it can take a 10ft fall ;)
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back