• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

Breffni,
I worked in an office in Greenore Hotel with my sister a long time ago and remember the birds well so great to hear your research on them. We used to sit outside close to the port to eat our sandwiches, watching and feeding the birds too. I have lovely memories and I hated to see it demolished. While waiting on an Indian takeaway other evening we counted 7 Swifts swooping, darting and playing to their hearts content over Dunnes carpark Monaghan Street. Still see them about here in the mornings and evenings particularly near the hospital and still think some nesting about somewhere.
Here is a picture finally of the female Sparrow with the yellow on its chest that I thought was a Rock Sparrow (of course no idea of how rare here they are or wouldnt make such a blunder). It comes with the Sparrows and looks exactly like them except for definite yellow on upper chest with black flecks also and its beak is half brown and other half yellow. It has a browny/fawn head with pale streak going away into back of head. I was sitting taking lunch close enought to it but had binoculars as well. I havent a great camera but it is definitely a soft yellow on the bird.

Attachments

• Summer birds 010.jpg
    Summer birds 010.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Summer birds 012.jpg
    Summer birds 012.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 65
It doesnt look like a Greenfinch but unless a very young juvenile is much prettier than adult and beak gets bigger later on.

I think its amazing how they will return to the same garden and I was so pleased to get a better look at him. I think its a Chiffchaff or something very small and unusual for me at least. I could hear a different sound in the Willow tree and then this tiny chap turned up close to the back door. The first two photos were taken through the window actually as didnt want him to disappear without some sort of picture. The last picture is a rather odd small bird with a lot of thick black marks on his chest that only comes late evenings and hates to be noticed and I saw three one evening when light fading.

Attachments

• Mid July birds 001.jpg
    Mid July birds 001.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Mid July birds 002.jpg
    Mid July birds 002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Mid July birds 017.jpg
    Mid July birds 017.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 68
I had another followup on the corncrake piece, this time a bird was heard two weeks ago on the south banks fo the Nanny between julianstown and the coast - report sounded credible - bird not heard since - might be southbound male migrant.

I think its amazing how they will return to the same garden and I was so pleased to get a better look at him. I think its a Chiffchaff or something very small and unusual for me at least. I could hear a different sound in the Willow tree and then this tiny chap turned up close to the back door. The first two photos were taken through the window actually as didnt want him to disappear without some sort of picture. The last picture is a rather odd small bird with a lot of thick black marks on his chest that only comes late evenings and hates to be noticed and I saw three one evening when light fading.

one and two look like a chiffchaff or willow warbler not sure about no 3 I cant think of any likely seed eater (Sparrow or bunting)that has 'thick black marks on his chest'. Is does not look like a reed bunting...............

sparrow hawk

one and two look like a chiffchaff or willow warbler not sure about no 3 I cant think of any likely seed eater (Sparrow or bunting)that has 'thick black marks on his chest'. Is does not look like a reed bunting...............

Got this shot on the way to Blackrock when I almost ran over this sparrow hawk as he washed at the side of the road...

Attachments

• sparrow hawk 22.JPG
    sparrow hawk 22.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 65
  • sparrow hawk 1.jpg
    sparrow hawk 1.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 62
Confirmed at least one little egret nest in the conifers in ballymascanlon hotel. The whole area of the heronrie is strewn with broken eggs (small plain blue and white + several large plain blue). Also counted 29 juvenile grey herons in ballymascanlon bay - no sign of green sandpipers, a common sand the best...

Went looking for the Crossbill on Slieve Foye today. There were 50+ present beside the car park at the top of the forest drive. Well done Joe.

I wonder does anyone think this might have been my first Brambling bird as quite a lot of bright orange on it. I also could hear a different sound sort of like a loud quip a lot in garden today and this bird seemed to be about around time of the sound mostly but maybe co-incidence.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 59
I thought juvenile and know it wrong time of year to see them but it did have wrong colours as it was a very bright orange and clear white on chest with definite areas of both colours. It appeared briefly out of tree for seconds and curious as to whether will turn into female or male as not trace of blue on it more blackish/brown and its just hard to imagine how that mad orange and white will all wash into either all pinkish orangey chest of male or pale buff of female. Perhaps neither oh dear ...... Could some degree of albino cause odd chest colour and perhaps its a mistake to look for too much perfection. I think shade of wall of garage causing dark beak only but not sure about that. I saw a Sparrow with a deformed tail slanted away badly to one side same day and felt so sorry for it but it seems to manage ok.

Better picture think same bird and does look like a Chaffinch Gareth with a little extra orange colouring just. I thought this a lovely Song Thrush as hiding in tree but not sure as could also be a juvenile female Blackbird.

Attachments

• Mid July birds 024.jpg
    Mid July birds 024.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Mid July birds 026.jpg
    Mid July birds 026.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 56
Beautiful Grey Herons on the River Ver beside St. Albans Cathedral lake but the light on that part of river has made them appear really blue in first picture so that query Kingfisher photo of mine from last summer taken same place was not a Kingfisher just same exaggerated false blue from the light. No idea whats in last picture.

Attachments

• 018-1.jpg
    018-1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 44
Beautiful Grey Herons on the River Ver beside St. Albans Cathedral lake but the light on that part of river has made them appear really blue in first picture so that query Kingfisher photo of mine from last summer taken same place was not a Kingfisher just same exaggerated false blue from the light. No idea whats in last picture.

Last pic of Muscovy Duck (Domestic). Well done on the 'female juvenile Blackbird' spot on !;) Wheatear at Baltray on monday and Spotted Flycatcher at Rahanna Wood and Stephenstown Pond this morning

Big arrival of waders this morning, dozens of curlew, whimbrel, redshank and dunlin. Four adult roseate terns at cooley point (possibly some juvs also). The tree sparrow and whitethroat ont he lane on second brood, as is nearby yellowhammer.

Little Tern Conservation Project
94 chicks and 6 eggs to hatch, things have gone well this year. Photos below of both adult and juveniles/chicks.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 74
A flock 20 odd crossbills is still roving around the foye woods. You'll hear them before you see them!
24 birds there this evening. Very flighty, though one bird (a beautiful male) slept in a tree in front of the top car park, while the others passed overhead occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_2038b.jpg
    IMG_2038b.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2081b.jpg
    IMG_2081b.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2102b.jpg
    IMG_2102b.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back