• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Please - Racing Pigeon found (1 Viewer)

ladybee

Hi - A racing pigeon has been in and around our garden for a week now - I have got the number from his ring, he is fairly tame but we don't want to handle him and anyway haven't really got anywhere to keep him. Does anyone know if there is a rescue for Pigeons in NE Derbyshire? I've read that even if he is reunited with his owner he will probably be killed. I don't really want him to stay in our garden as I feel I can't keep feeding the garden birds because the food source will encourage him to stay and he is making such a mess with poop, but I'd hate to think he was going to be killed if we found his owner.
Thanks

Hi - A racing pigeon has been in and around our garden for a week now - I have got the number from his ring, he is fairly tame but we don't want to handle him and anyway haven't really got anywhere to keep him. Does anyone know if there is a rescue for Pigeons in NE Derbyshire? I've read that even if he is reunited with his owner he will probably be killed. I don't really want him to stay in our garden as I feel I can't keep feeding the garden birds because the food source will encourage him to stay and he is making such a mess with poop, but I'd hate to think he was going to be killed if we found his owner.
Thanks

I wouldnt worry too much about the pigeon. Try to avoid feeding it and it will move on. I was a good samaritan when the first lost Racer camped in my garden, I then spent the next day feeding it in a box waiting for the owner to arrive to pick it up..... who then p*ssed me off by calling for all Raptors to be culled......:C

I've heard this before but find it hard to believe. Why would an owner go the trouble of retrieving a bird then killing it? Why not save a trip and leave it where it is?

There may be a good reason, but I can't think of one. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Hi Ladybee, if you can get hold of the bird the ring (metal) not the rubber one which is the racing ring, has a set of letters and numbers the letters i.e
n.e.h.u. is newcastle nu is north england if you spread the wing the owners sometimes stamp their phone no on the primary feather, google racing pigeons and it has a section with all the contact no on, once reported the owners are obliged to make arrangments to get the bird, hope this helps.

I've heard this before but find it hard to believe. Why would an owner go the trouble of retrieving a bird then killing it? Why not save a trip and leave it where it is?

There may be a good reason, but I can't think of one. Does anyone know the answer?

At my previous employer in West Yorkshire, a racing pigeon pitched up in the warehouse yard. Staff took it in and we traced the owner - in Wales. He was contacted and we kept it safely confined and fed until the next day when he arranged for Amtrack to pick it up and return it. He had thought the bird was sitting on the roof of his pigeon coop! So I can't see him going to that expense just to pull its neck. On the other hand, if a homing pigeon can't find its way home??!! ............

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back