• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filling coconuts - again !! (1 Viewer)

Metermaid

Well I thought I had got the answer, I seem to remember problems discussed here about the fat running out of the coconut shells and getting it to stick - so on my first attempt I tried very slowly melting fat in the microwave until I got it to the consistency of face cream, then added Gardman Blue Tit mix with insects - it set beautifully in the fridge no probs,they look exactly like the ones I have been buying - except birds aren't eating it :( I used beef dripping which seemed considerably harder than lard and I thought this would be fine - obviously the tits think otherwise...any more ideas anyone?

Cheers

Rita

Metermaid said:
Well I thought I had got the answer, I seem to remember problems discussed here about the fat running out of the coconut shells and getting it to stick - so on my first attempt I tried very slowly melting fat in the microwave until I got it to the consistency of face cream, then added Gardman Blue Tit mix with insects - it set beautifully in the fridge no probs,they look exactly like the ones I have been buying - except birds aren't eating it :( I used beef dripping which seemed considerably harder than lard and I thought this would be fine - obviously the tits think otherwise...any more ideas anyone?

Cheers

Rita

Try suet instead of dripping - it sets hard, quite quickly.

Metermaid said:
Elizabeth, when you say suet do you mean the packet stuff used for making dumplings?

Yes that's it - butchers round here no longer get it in the carcases, they reckon it all goes to the places that market it in neat little packets - Atora for instance. Thanks to a message here, I've now found it in Morrisons (own brand) - at a lower price.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back