• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat, Scotland (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Goodness! I thought this was a Greater Whitethroat, but it has been suggested it is a Lesser Whitethroat.

If it is, it would be a most unexpected Lifer for me. Is it possible to confirm.

I do have some more pictures at different angles, but they are badly backlit, I could try and lighten some if you want to see them.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/562847/ppuser/18346

Thanks Andrew.

Do these help? Not very good at backlit shots and post processing. Sorry.

Attachments

• S0333077 For ID.jpg
    S0333077 For ID.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 60
  • S0333078 for ID.jpg
    S0333078 for ID.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 77
I get the impression of pale, yellowish legs, though it's hard to be sure with the lighting. Given the lighting I don't see any good reason to think it's anything other than a Common Whitethroat, which would be vastly commoner in that area too.

I agree with Andrew, although the photo isn't ideal being backlit as you say, I also get the impression of pale legs and rufous coverts. Common for me.

Thanks very much for your time Andrew.

Mixed feelings... glad I was right, but sorry I don't get a Lifer LOL.

Common for me too. Behaviour goes against Lesser too, which usually sings from cover whereas Common Whitethroat is more demonstrative and prefers more prominent songposts, as in your bird.

RB

Another ditto to Common - the pic is very blue-cast, which makes the rusty wings less obvious and apparently grey than they would normally appear.

Cheers Michael.

The strange thing is, Dave, although it looks like he was singing, I don't remember hearing it at all (it was quite windy that day). But I would have known the Great's song having heard it quite a few times. But at that time I wouldn't have known the difference from the Lesser's.

I was pretty sure it was Great, up to the time someone in the Gallery suggested it might not be, so thought I'd better check with you guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back