• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image quality of spotting scope better than binoculars? (1 Viewer)

baofeng

My 10x70 Fujinon binocular cost $600 and it is so small. I digiscope with it and got ok result. I was wondering if I buy a celestron reflector which is
1) heavier (heavier==better result)
2) the same price (the celestron IMO value for money because we do not have to pay a premium for fujinon)
3) one scope (I think since I using one side of the fujinon for digiscoping, it will be stupid to pay for 2 side compared to celestron),
Will I get better marginally better result or much better result?

Another way to put it is do birders experience a enhancement of image quality using scope versus binocular?

Reading your last question I was thinking two eyes are better than one but you're talking about image as far as digiscoping right?

Hi,
Assuming that your Fujinons are on a tripod, you could probably get much of the benefit of a spotting scope by using a magnifier at the ocular. Zeiss and Swarovsky both sell these for their binoculars, a 3x booster in the Zeiss case. Presumably Fuji offers something similar. While not cheap, over $200 for the Zeiss unit, it gives you the extra power needed to clearly identify birds at longer ranges than a 10x glass can.

In truth, most birders hate scopes, as they are heavy and awkward to carry as well as uncomfortable to look through. Unfortunately, getting enough light to magnify a bird 's image 50x or more takes a big lens and keeping that image stable takes a tripod. But no birder thinks the scope's image is superior to that offered by binoculars. Indeed, for the very wealthy, Kowa and Docter offer high 40x80 binoculars, because they are so much easier to look through.

My 10x70 Fujinon binocular cost $600 and it is so small. I digiscope with it and got ok result. I was wondering if I buy a celestron reflector which is

Do you really mean reflector? That is an instrument completely different from a refractor (i.e., a typical "spotting" scope). I would think digiscoping with a reflector for terrestrial use would be quite cumbersome. ?

Do you really mean reflector? That is an instrument completely different from a refractor (i.e., a typical "spotting" scope). I would think digiscoping with a reflector for terrestrial use would be quite cumbersome. ?

Howard,
Let's assume Baofeng means "Refractor." See the link from Televue below which shows that is indeed possible. And a small, inexpensive Celestron Refractor, suitably fitted up could probably do a good job. Albeit, protection from the elements could be a problem.

http://www.televue.com/BirdScope/

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob, that seems to be an odd brand. Runs about 800, but mostly out of stock.

baofeng, post your question in the digiscopes section and you will get some suggestions for a scope. List your camera as well.

Bob, that seems to be an odd brand. Runs about 800, but mostly out of stock.

TeleVue is not at all an odd brand. They make excellent astronomical telescopes and eyepieces. The smallest of the refractors make for excellent spotting scopes.

Howard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back