• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query about birding from Antalya April, & woodpeckers? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Have booked our family holiday from 8-23 April 2012 to Antalya, staying at nearby Lara Beach.

Have bought the birdguides books and also checked all reports, and have noted Side, Akseki, and Seki/Elmali are good places potentially. Akseki and Seki/Elmali are mountainous and involve 2-3 hour drives, but i am concerned whether access will be possible to these locations due to the snow? Can anyone confirm what the roads are likely to be like in April?

Regards woodpeckers, I would have thought they would have been very vocal in April, but some reports from April in previous years note an absence of these species especially at Alseki, which is regarded as a good W-B Woody site. Can anyone advise best times (or worse times) to see woodpeckers? Is April normally a bad time to see woodpeckers?

Overall, hoping for possible warblers like Barred and Orphean at Side archeological site, W-B Woody, Syrian Woody, Krupers Nuthatch amongst others at Akseki, and Red-Fronted Serin, Snowfinch, White-Throated Robin at Seki - Elmali area.

Would it be best to leave it as late as possible during my holiday or get there asap after arrival?

Last edited:
We went to Seki/Lake Girdev on 12th May 2010 and the roads were fine then. There was only a little snow left on the peaks of the mountains at the time, however we were told at the time that there hadn't been a lot of snow the previous winter. Think it will all depend on what sort of winter we get here.

Can anyone tell me whether it has been a cold snowy winter around Antalya in 2011-12? This may affect my chances of getting up into the mountains in April.

This was taken by a friend on the 30th January on the way to Antalya airport and will give you some idea.

antalya.jpg

It is being widley reported over here in Turkey that it has been the coldest, wettest winter for 30 years.

This was taken by a friend on the 30th January on the way to Antalya airport and will give you some idea.

View attachment 373026

It is being widley reported over here in Turkey that it has been the coldest, wettest winter for 30 years.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not good because by April i was hoping snow will have melted so i am not sure i can get to areas like Seki.:-C

A friend is flying back to Antalya from the UK next week and will be coming that way back to Dalaman. I will ask them how much snow is around when they get back and post it here. I think they come back on the 14th.

Good news the snow seems to be on the retreat and mostly clear at the moment from what my friend could see so hopefully you will be ok.

You should see snow finch on the route up to lake girdev, and the white throated robin a bit further along. Red fronted serin we saw at Lake Girdev on our trip.

Good news the snow seems to be on the retreat and mostly clear at the moment from what my friend could see so hopefully you will be ok.

You should see snow finch on the route up to lake girdev, and the white throated robin a bit further along. Red fronted serin we saw at Lake Girdev on our trip.

Brilliant thank you very much for your feedback. Looking forward to it! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back