• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK bird ID from call only (1 Viewer)

Kezza

This is something of a longshot but I'm hoping someone may have an idea of what the bird is from its call.

Just heard in trees or on grassland outside my garden, I didn't see it and have never heard it before. I can only really describe it as 'ching' repeated five times and quite a loud strong call.

I am hoping for a couple of suggestions so that I can then listen to their calls on the RSPB site.

Sorry to be so vague, any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you.

Sounds more like Chaffinch to me too - one of the Great tit repetitive calls, sounds to me more like a very loud and resonant high pitched 'Ting' cf. a chaffinch 'Ching' which is as loud but very strong and 'full' sounding.

deborah4 said:
Sounds more like Chaffinch to me too - one of the Great tit repetitive calls, sounds to me more like a very loud and resonant high pitched 'Ting' cf. a chaffinch 'Ching' which is as loud but very strong and 'full' sounding.

Description sounded not bad for Chaffinch, but observer reported she 'had never heard it before'. Chaffinch calls tend to be rather constant, so would guess she'd heard that before. Great Tit much more variable in call and, I'd guess' could more easily 'throw' someone off track.

Ha ha,plus Chaffinches up here are a little lazy to ching five times, usually give up after two or three! Could be either ...or neither.

Last edited:
Although normally written or described as a "kick" call, perhaps have a listen to Great Spotted Woodpecker. That is loud, distinctive and repetitive, and I hear it as a "chink!"

On the RSPB site the first half is drumming, the call is the 2nd half of the recording, and I don't think this recording does justice to how loud and sharp the call is when I hear it. Of the birds in my garden, only the GSW, Magpie and Wren are the only birds capable of interrupting a lie-in when the bedroom window is shut.

Spookily, just as I typed that he started calling from the top of the neighbours leylandii! OK, so now I've got the bird outside responding to the call on the RSPB site through my PC surround sound system. I guess it must be an OK recording, then!

Graham

Jos Stratford said:
Description sounded not bad for Chaffinch, but observer reported she 'had never heard it before'.

Don't want to make any presumptions either way about people 'hearing' or 'recognising' bird calls - but I certainly know from my own experience, I once thought I hadn't heard a Great Tit before, until I actually recognised it as being such - same with Chaffinch!! Perhaps often, birdsong is 'background' noise for some of us, until one call grabs us, we Id it, and then we hear it often?

Ha ha,plus Chaffinches up here are a little lazy to ching five times, usually give up after two or three!

Heard one here, that just about made it to 4 a few days ago! - Great tits, in my garden, once they get started with this one, the record gets stuck and they never stop! ;)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I’ve listened to them on the RSPB site which probably doesn't cover all the different calls made:
Great Tit - says it has many, but doesn't demonstrate one that sounds like my ching!
Chaffinch - as above
Reed Bunting - too fast
GS Woodpecker - this seems more of a chik than a ching! To harsh an end to each note and also alittle too slow. Interesting though as I thought woodpecker when I heard it, not sure why.
Yellowhammer – starts too slow but then too fast!

I’m not saying it isn’t any of them, it probably is, just that the site doesn’t cover all the calls so none sound right. Have to admit I only recognise a small amount of calls and wouldn't know any of those mentioned except great tit, but that has so many, I don't know them all.

This call stood out as it was loud and not one of the normal calls I hear from the garden. Doubt I'm going find out for sure, must learn to recognise calls better.
Thanks again for your ideas. If I hear it again and see it, I'll let you know what it was!

A long shot maybe, but might be OK for your habitat - a crossbill?

Mind you, you rarely hear one, if there's an influx the pleasant sound comes from several directions at once.

pianoman said:
A long shot maybe, but might be OK for your habitat - a crossbill?

Mind you, you rarely hear one, if there's an influx the pleasant sound comes from several directions at once.
more of a chip ,chip than a ching ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back