• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-capped Plover (1 Viewer)

Phil777

Here in Western Australia we have a large area of wetland named the Peel Inlet.
The first pic is of a Red-capped Plover taken without the benefit of a hide and cropped quite severely.
The next two are taken from the new hide but appear to be either females or immature males or something else(?)
The hide worked well until the tide came in very slowly and sneaked up on me from behind!
BTW, my bird book is Australian Birds by Donald and Molly Trounson.
IMG_0844TrimmedResizedFixed.JPG

IMG_1191TrimmedFixed.JPG

IMG_1197trimmedResized.JPG

I cannot answer the question itself, however, the Pizzey and Knight field guide has notes that females has head and nape sandier,black less distinct than male, and immature paler with scaly pattern on upperparts. However, also notice that winter adults of both sexes are drawn as much more like immature in the plate.

Niels

Hi Phil

A couple of comments - firstly, yes all three birds are Red-capped Plover. The first is an adult male and then I'd say two adult females but I'm less confident on the age and sex of those two.

My other (unsolicited!) advice would be that the Trounson guide is a useful extra guide to have, I would recommend getting hold of at least one of the major 4 Aus field guides as your main guide (getting more than one is good investment if you want to spend the extra money).

If you don't know them, the four guides I refer to are Pizzey & Knight, Morecombe, Simpson & Day, and Slater. My personal favourite is Pizzey & Knight but any of the four will do the job

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back