• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro Zoom Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

william j clive

For those who have an Astro scope, the dedicated zoom eyepiece for Opticron's MM2 fits the 1.25" astro socket.

On my astro scope the 15-40x zoom becomes a 65-172 zoom, and works surprisingly well!

Also if you have Nikon eyepieces, they can be converted to use in astro scopes with an adapter costing 30 Euros from Markus Ludes of APM telescopes in Germany. The Nikons are considered to be as good as the premium Televue eyepieces in astro circles. They can also adapt Leica for astro use.

Clive

Last edited:
Clive, Were you able to buy the Nikon adapter from APM as a separate item? the US importer told me it was only available with an eyepiece purchase. Henry

Last edited:
henry link said:
Clive, Were you able to buy the Nikon adapter from APM as a separate item? the US importer told me it was only available with an eyepiece purchase. Henry

Yes, I found Markus Ludes to be very helpful, I was delighted to find that he is happy to supply the adapter separately. e-mail him at:

[email protected]

Let us know how you get on.

Clive

Clive, Thanks. I'll contact Markus Ludes directly. BTW both Leica and Zeiss make their own adapters to allow their eyepieces to be used in astro scopes. The Zeiss adapters (for both 1 1/4" and 2" focusers) are very well made but expensive, $120 in the US. Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back