• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripods. (1 Viewer)

stevetb

ok ive made my mind up about my first scope - an opticron IS 60. now i need a tripod. I know this sounds very stupid, but do all telescopes fit all tripods? if so whats a cheap Preferably lightweight one? if not, what ones will fit the IS 60?

cheers all ;) :t:

Last edited:
AC/DC said:
ok ive made my mind up about my first scope - an opticron IS 60. now i need a tripod. I know this sounds very stupid, but do all telescopes fit all tripods? if so whats a cheap Preferably lightweight one? if not, what ones will fit the IS 60?

cheers all ;) :t:

If you buy the IS60 from In-Focus, you can buy the Velbon Delta for £39 which is excellent for the price & will be fine for your scope.

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
If you buy the IS60 from In-Focus, you can buy the Velbon Delta for £39 which is excellent for the price & will be fine for your scope.

Cheers,

John.

they don't stock the is60 anymore do they?

the tripod is a good buy at that price. would work well with an MM2 HDF Zoom 8-P

do you have a website in mind ac/dc?

Last edited:
AC/DC said:

never used one with braced legs like that but it will work,

probably better getting something slightliy dearer like a sherpa 250 I've not used one but it is akin to infocus delta Iv tripod ( which is a dearer model though) which I like

Last edited:
thats wierd. because when i tried out a scope at an RSPB shop in weymouth, he said that telescopes wont take any tripod

Last edited:
The standard tripod screw size is 1/4 BSW (British Standard Whitworth all very boring but basically an old universally accepted thread type and size which even now all scope and camera manufacturers adhere to as to change would be fraught with difficulties there are millions of cameras, telescopes etc out there)

With most tripods heads are easily interchangeable as thread size and type is also for the most standard. Many heads are offered with quick release plates/screw arrangements, again very desirable if you need to mount the scope quickly in order to see something. If your choice of head does not have this facility there are many after market reasonably cheap QR adaptors that you can use. ( The benefits of all using the same thread)

So in answer to your question more or less any standard tripod is going to fit your choice of telescope. As with optics try them and more importantly make sure you are comfortable with the ergonomics, ease of use and weight (you may have to carry it for long periods, is it easy to set up, and how rigid is it, go for the best you can afford and don't be shy about going down the used route.

Best of luck

Stewart

AC/DC said:
by 3 way, does it mean up/down, left/right and diagonal?

good answer from stewart,

yes that is what 3 way means. Some tripods use the lever to control all head movement and and to lock it, that Velbon Sherpa tripod will do. Others use screws to lock unlock certain movements (e.g Manfrotto).

it comes down to preference, you'll find lots of people love manfrotto. whereas I don't.

if you can get back to weymouth, they may have a cx type and serpa type velbon tripod for you to try.

I'm sure that most of us have made the mistake of buying a cheap tripod, then finding it's not really up to the job and buying a slightly more expensive one, then finally splashing out on a good one.

You may save some money in the long run by going for the good one straight off. If you're not buying from InFocus (and their £39 tripod is excellent value for money) then I'd recommend you look at Warehouse Express' wondeful half-prince offer on the Velbon CF-530 and CF-630 Pro tripods.

for the benefit of ac/dc. The in-focus delta IV is a Velbon tripod. It shares the same head as the Sherpa range but the Quick Release plate has a second pin which makes it more difficult for the tripod coming loose.

The central column separates from the legs meaning you can attach a hide clamp to it (£39).

The tripod normally retails for £109 but when you get a scope from in-focus it costs £39. You see a lot of them about.

Obviously not much use though if not buying from i-f but for info.

Hi ac/dc, just a quick report on one of those options...

I've had the in-focus combination with a hide clamp for three years and never wanted to trade up. It's a nice compromise between price, weight and stability, and covers most circumstances.

It's strong enough for both my Zeiss 65 and my MM2.

hollis_f said:
I'm sure that most of us have made the mistake of buying a cheap tripod, then finding it's not really up to the job and buying a slightly more expensive one, then finally splashing out on a good one.

You may save some money in the long run by going for the good one straight off. If you're not buying from InFocus (and their £39 tripod is excellent value for money) then I'd recommend you look at Warehouse Express' wondeful half-prince offer on the Velbon CF-530 and CF-630 Pro tripods.

This matches my experience. The Delta is fine for a small scope and good value at £39. But at ~£100 it is expensive, and it is not really suitable for an ~80mm scope, and it vibrates quite a bit in the wind. So unless you buy the Delta cheap, go for something like a Velbon CF tripod from WE.

Leif

:-C what a bummer. my local LCE had a IS 50 with 20 X WA eyepiece for 99 GBP. i was going to get it this morning, but its been sold. grrr :-C

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back