• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Metal ringed Spotted Redshank (1 Viewer)

sthwild

I found this one on the shore of Isle of Sheppey on Saturday. It only had one metal ring. Difficult to read due to poor light, but looking at few photos I can see 0B534. I was wondering if theres anyone who's ringing those birds in UK.

Attachments

• 5H3A0271.jpg
    5H3A0271.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 94
It's a Redshank rather than a Spotted so far as I can see. It's quite possible that enough of the ring number is there to make an individual identification, could you please upload the other photos? From the photo above I'm also not so sure it's a British ring so could be interesting.

here's more photos plus ring enlargements. Ring is upside down but I think it says "London"

Attachments

• 5H3A0283.jpg
    5H3A0283.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 5H3A0285.jpg
    5H3A0285.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 5H3A0296.jpg
    5H3A0296.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 75
  • ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 79
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 92
Thanks very much for the uploads. I'm seeing a '53', a '34', a 'B' followed potentially by a '9', and a '09'! Was hoping to compare the way they sit with the address engraved up top (yes I also see 'London' in there after all, good spot) using my own D-rings as a guide, but alas my D-rings have a different layout being the new-fashioned kind with a web address. This appears to be an older style with 'London' on the second line of address not first, so await more expert input, or someone with old D-rings!

Last edited:
Can't quite read any of the detail on this ring clearly enough... But this type of ring (which looks like a BTO ring) would have two letters (starting D) followed by five numbers.

I have compared it to an older BTO DB series ring and it is a definite match.
The single part of the address line in your first image is the word 'INFORM' and
'LONDON' is clear in other images. Aligning the legible characters to the address
and comparing to a ring from this series, it would appear to be DB*534*

Unfortunately, that is unlikely to be enough to pin the bird down without more
of the serial. Many of the 100 possible combinations will likely have been used
on Redshanks!

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back