• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

Ah I see! :)

A plan Ive kept meaning to do is if I get bad sound to go back to the same spot when noones about and just record a good sound then use that on the previous video.

Ah I see! :)

A plan Ive kept meaning to do is if I get bad sound to go back to the same spot when noones about and just record a good sound then use that on the previous video.

Yes thats something i was thinking of doing too :)
Rob.

Hello,
I got two clips with an EOS 600d and 100-400mm L.

Chaffinch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3tQcP59eQ
with the digital zoom at it's minimum (3x), and the lens at 275mm.

Common Gull in poor weather at 400mm, and the digital zoom at the max (10x)
This bird was a distant dot with the naked eye!(turn the volume down for this one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjv7v2oxoY

The swivel viewfinder is really useful, especially for birds high in the treetops, but.. it's surprisingly difficult to find birds when you aren't looking straight through the camera, so I kept having to move the lens back to 100mm, centre on the bird, then zoom in. I don't think the swivel would add much value with a fixed telephoto.
However, with the 100-400 and the digital zoom, first impressions were a very versatile, and powerful combo, particularly when framing birds up to 30 metres away, and at any angle (even pretty much vertically above me!)

I haven't taken any still photos with the camera yet!

Footage of a Goldfinch in the garden, (EOS600d)....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprjMP20GT4

Initially at 400mm and 3x digital zoom, then some footage at 5x, and finally extreme close up at ~8x.

This is about the first footage I've taken where the digital zoom still looks like HD at the high end! Other attempts, at much greater distance, have been thwarted either by heat haze, or come out looking more like standard definition.

Peter

Peter,

Your 600D is giving great results. I wish I had the zoom feature on my 7D. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the near future.

Mike

The case for a DSLR Video Sub-forum

If we go all the way back to post #7 of this thread I said that perhaps if folks get more skilled at DSLR video then perhaps we should have a sub-forum. With over 300 replies and over 20,000 views then I think that has been made.

Any chance BF of upgrading this thread to a forum or sub-forum of its own?

I totally agree.
There must be tons of nikon people videoing birds as well but they are unlikely to pop into the canon section and see this thread.
(obviously the vids wont be as good as the canon ones ;) )

I also agree about the 600ds digital zoom! I really wish we had that on the 7d. Surely will be on the 8d :)

Last edited:
My first edited video footage, from today in Stockholm. Black Headed and Common Gulls were the subject. Video must of got compressed on youtube, not great on full screen.
Shot with a Nikon D90 with Sigma 150-500mm OS Lens and edited in IMovie on the macbook....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyTjYHXD638

Last edited:
I like the way you did that video buzzard.

As for the compression my guess would be you saved it as a youtube sd format in imovie?
There might be an option for exporting as youtube hd on imovie although I havent used that software.

Canon 600D Video

I've recently bought a Canon 600D and I've uploaded my first couple of attempts at videoing with it to my Vimeo page. I'm still learning how to use it properly but I'm pleased with the initial results. Using the manual exposure settings seems to be the way to go and it is pretty easy to just adjust the aperature and ISO settings until the image looks about right on the display screen. It takes a while for me to get the video settings ready at the moment but hopefully I'll get quicker with practice...

Here is a link to my Vimeo page, the latest two videos were taken with the 600D:

http://www.vimeo.com/user5287223/videos

Martin G.

Good stuff Martin.
This 600d digital zoom is looking very interesting. I am half tempted to get one as my second camera. (or maybe wait for the 8d which surely will have the same tech..)

Have been learning how to edit over the past week and reckon I have finally got it cracked. Coupled with using the correct settings on the Nikon D90 and I'm very happy with this little video. vimeo has sorted my problems out with regard to HD footage...

http://vimeo.com/22400277

Nice amount of footage of the dipper !

Just a few things though.
It seems that video is in SD on vimeo. It would be nice to see the hd version.

Also can you do different profiles on the nikon?
If it is the same as the 7d, the standard profile is too contrasty and on the 7d you need to drop the contrast, sharpness and saturation a bit to make it look a bit more natural and then save that. (or you can download custom profiles from the web. I got one called flat +10 but I found that was too washed out so amended that a little and am happy the whites dont get blown out so easy now)

Nice amount of footage of the dipper !

Just a few things though.
It seems that video is in SD on vimeo. It would be nice to see the hd version.

Also can you do different profiles on the nikon?
If it is the same as the 7d, the standard profile is too contrasty and on the 7d you need to drop the contrast, sharpness and saturation a bit to make it look a bit more natural and then save that. (or you can download custom profiles from the web. I got one called flat +10 but I found that was too washed out so amended that a little and am happy the whites dont get blown out so easy now)

Hi Pete,

Should be in HD here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uadDJLX2-3k

On a steep learning curve, had not exported the video correctly...

With regard to settings on the D90 there are none for saturation, conrtast etc. The only adjustments one can make on the D90 are white balance, shutter and ISO, so what you see is what you get...

The Nikon D7000 has adjustment capability and autofocus whilst in videomode, if a little limited with regard to fast moving subjects. The upcoming Nikon D400, expected later this year or early next year, looks like it could be a winner with regard to video, for now will just have to get along with the D90, which has been a great entry level DSLR for me....

Nice work Martin, the Collared Dove in particular is pin sharp...colour rendition is fabulous too...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back