• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

Andy
top stuff on the blog as usual, i wanted to raise this one with you went for a stroll between east cottingwith and hagg bridge saturday but was saddened to see 5 dead mutes mainly young birds, 3 had been heavily predated but two seemed to be fully in tact,could not get close enough to identify rings etc,
is this normal? and should i report it to anyone?

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Hi Zing - glad you liked the blog post.

Might be worth ringing the Natural England Office up at Wheldrake to inform them where they were so they can check them for rings and establish how/why they died (eg check for illegal hunting/hitting overhead wires etc). With them being Swans they might also need to be sent off to check for bird flu (although very unlikely i guess). If they are ringed they might be able to gather some usful information from the bodies.

Cheers, Andy

Hi Zing - glad you liked the blog post.

Might be worth ringing the Natural England Office up at Wheldrake to inform them where they were so they can check them for rings and establish how/why they died (eg check for illegal hunting/hitting overhead wires etc). With them being Swans they might also need to be sent off to check for bird flu (although very unlikely i guess). If they are ringed they might be able to gather some usful information from the bodies.

Cheers, Andy

thanks Andy also looked a

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/anim...questions-and-answers/finding-a-dead-bird.htm

will give them a ring tomorrow. i know the last three months have been rough for them but it just seems wrong that 5 birds have perished in the space of three miles.

Spent yesterday over at Harewood for the red kites, then made our way over Hull way... Marsh Harrier, RLBuzzard again, Bitterns, SEO`s, Barn Owl... this one will take some beating.

=)

Attachments

• 7slowressmvll.jpg
    7slowressmvll.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Redhouse

Glad some are realising other stuff is there.sat had the redpolls as usuall;(they now have own site, Please check it thos who are interested, there are some interesting birds amongst them(.However saturday , as mentioned, the woodpeckers were frisky, marsh tits coming down too 4 feet at times on feeders, and this sprawk came through, literally was chasing redpolls aroound my head!

Think it got the only Arctic on site ......before i got the photo!!!:smoke:

Paul

Attachments

• marshtit5.jpg
    marshtit5.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 73
  • greaterspottedwoodpecker2.jpg
    greaterspottedwoodpecker2.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 69
  • sprawk3.jpg
    sprawk3.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 86
The people who monitor the Red Kites have sent me out an email below about monitoring the current Barn Owl population via the Wolds Owl Group. I have checked with them & they are interested in ALL sightings of Barn Owls in East Yorkshire. Please give a date for your sightings, if at all possible a grid ref, but if not, a precise description of the location, and of course if you see more than one Owl at the same time, please include that information.

Two different birds have been seen fairly regularly around Kelk over the last month.

Hi All,
Went down the garden this morning and found a half broken eggshell from a Collared Dove. Surely in this cold winter this has got to be a record of some kind to have young in the nest by Feb 14th.
Dave

Iceland gull

couple images from BF meet sat.(Scarboro harbour).
Anyone else interested could take a look at latest redpoll 'contender' on redpoll forum.

Attachments

• icelandgull5.jpg
    icelandgull5.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 55
  • icelandgull6.jpg
    icelandgull6.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 70
Ldv

a pleasant afternoon at the duff carrs,pintail,widgeon,redshank mutes and black swans dunlin,100s of lapwings geese etc and then this fellow turned up,
any ideas anyone.
sadly could not get any closer.

some more pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 101
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 69
  • d3.jpg