• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron WP PC V Vortex Viper?? (1 Viewer)

optiman

Hi Guys,
(new to this site)
Wanted to ask: is there anyone with good bino's knowledge to tell me which bino's i should choose on title above..(Opticron WP PC or Vortex Viper)? I'v heard SO much talk and Company's 'pushing' there product to sell each of their models. I like each one...well, on paper - but which?? Opticron say on their website:'They punch way above there price tag'?
PS: I also wanted to know if Nikon Monarchs (ATB's) ARE the bizz??

Last edited:
Hi optiman,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I have moved your thread to a more appropriate subforum.

Hello Robin,
Thanks for that. 'Moving my thread to a more appropriate subforum'...(Hope i get some replies there!)
Cheers,

Are you thinking about 8x42 or 8x32 or 10x42 or what?

I haven't seen any of these bins, but everything I've heard suggests that the Vortex Viper is way in the lead optically. As long as you're comfortable with it, Viper is the obvious choice if you're thinking about 8x42, say. If you were thinking of 8x32 and wanted extreme lightness, then the Opticron might be the better choice.

Michael

The Viper is a very nice package. I really want to like it. It has a nice focuser, it´s small, feels good in my hands. It´s good in many optical aspects too, but it has lots of CA and it´s dwarfed by the Zen ED2 that is a way better bin when it comes to the optics. And they cost about the same afaik. The Viper handles better though ;)

Hi Micheal,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, i did forget to say which size! It's a bit late now, but for the record: a 10x42 was my choice. The Vortex Viper is on a lot of peoples lips it seems. I'v heard the Opticron's are great for light transmission

Hi Kristoffer,
Thanks for that. The Vortex Viper looks/seems good. The only thing: their a U.S brand..(not too sure of their reputation,but AMAZING users comments on most of their models) and, i though the Opticrons would be better as there 'apparently' Japanese..The Japanese, like the German's don't manufacture 'rubbish'??

Not sure of your Opticron, though it is a reliable brand there. The 8x42 Viper is OK. have not tested the 10x42. It is the brand and service one needs to worry about. I do have some Pentaxes made in Japan, but I do not worry about country of origin. They are as good as the Chinese these days. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Kristoffer,
Thanks for that. The Vortex Viper looks/seems good. The only thing: their a U.S brand..(not too sure of their reputation,but AMAZING users comments on most of their models) and, i though the Opticrons would be better as there 'apparently' Japanese..The Japanese, like the German's don't manufacture 'rubbish'??

The Vortex Viper is made in Japan to Vortex' specifications. Though I would worry more about the actual quality of the optics as opposed to preconceptions about what countries make good optics.

Best,
Jim

The Vortex Viper is made in Japan to Vortex' specifications. Though I would worry more about the actual quality of the optics as opposed to preconceptions about what countries make good optics.

Best,
Jim

Thanks for that Jim.
It's interesting that the Vortex brand is made in japan. Mine i'm after are 10x42's in both The Opticron Discovery or the Vortex Viper...or the Diamondback, as there that bit cheaper...
Nick

Not sure of your Opticron, though it is a reliable brand there. The 8x42 Viper is OK. have not tested the 10x42. It is the brand and service one needs to worry about. I do have some Pentaxes made in Japan, but I do not worry about country of origin. They are as good as the Chinese these days. ;)
Hi Tero,
Thanks for that response,
I'm after the Opticron Discovery 10x42's or now the Vortex Diamondback 10x42, as apposed to the Viper...i think there too expensive for my budget.

Well, the cheaper 10X just do not give you much more detail than the 8x. I would stick to 8x with the Diamondback. Get a scope when you need more some power, in a year or two.

Well, the cheaper 10X just do not give you much more detail than the 8x. I would stick to 8x with the Diamondback. Get a scope when you need more some power, in a year or two.

Ok, thats sounds great. A scope will be an added investment down the line. I'll go for 8x power i think possibly steadier!

Cheers again

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back