• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Black Horhaan (2 Viewers)

leon

From my birdguide these are Northern Black Korhaan's

The bird database only has a black Korhaan. Is this the same bird ?

Attachments

• CRW_1421.jpg
    CRW_1421.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 232
  • CRW_1383.jpg
    CRW_1383.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 239
cuckooroller said:
One on left is Vanellus.
Its not in my local Sasol birdguide. I'm trying to find a good picture of Vanellus on the web. It could be that the local names are different.

Leon,
It looks most like Vanellus tectus (Black-headed Lapwing) to me, but this in itself, is confusing as I don't have it ranging in RSA. I am talking about only the left hand pic here. The other is a Koorhan and there is a lot of confusion on the names once you get outside of Africa where the Robert's names are in vogue.

cuckooroller said:
Leon,
It looks most like Vanellus tectus (Black-headed Lapwing) to me, but this in itself, is confusing as I don't have it ranging in RSA.

The birds have a strange behavour, the hover about 5 to 10 meters above ground calling loudly, before diving (mmm not like a kingfischer, a bit slower) to the ground. Could never get closer than about 30 meters from them. Very wild.

I have a few pictures, and I think it is the same or simular bird in both pictures.

Outside of RSA the Northern Black Koorhan is called the White-quilled Bustard (Eupodotis afraoides). Taxonomy and ranges to follow.

Eupodotis (Afrotis) afra - BLACK BUSTARD
monotypic - W and S Cape Province (grasslands)

Eupodotis (Afrotis) afraoides - WHITE-QUILLED BUSTARD

E.a.etoschae - NW Namibia, NE Botswana
E.a.damarensis - Namibia, W and C Botswana
E.a.afraoides - SE Botswana and N and NE Sth. Africa to Lesotho

cuckooroller said:
Eupodotis (Afrotis) afra - BLACK BUSTARD
monotypic - W and S Cape Province (grasslands)

Eupodotis (Afrotis) afraoides - WHITE-QUILLED BUSTARD

E.a.etoschae - NW Namibia, NE Botswana
E.a.damarensis - Namibia, W and C Botswana
E.a.afraoides - SE Botswana and N and NE Sth. Africa to Lesotho

You have been a great help, thank you. I will have to add White-quilled bustard to my vocabulary.

Hi,
couldn´t the bird on the first photo be Spur-winged Plover, Hoplopterus spinosus?
Somehow it doesn´t fit a Vanellus in my opinion, the distribution of black and white on wings seems to fit better for H. spinosus.

Joern Lehmhus said:
Hi,
couldn´t the bird on the first photo be Spur-winged Plover, Hoplopterus spinosus?
Somehow it doesn´t fit a Vanellus in my opinion, the distribution of black and white on wings seems to fit better for H. spinosus.

From the birds behavour I am pretty sure that this bird is the WHITE-QUILLED BUSTARD, locally we call it the Northern Black Korhaan. This a male busy
with a so called display flight. I have never seen a Spur-winged Plover here in South Africa. Thank you for your input though.

leon said:
From the birds behavour I am pretty sure that this bird is the WHITE-QUILLED BUSTARD, locally we call it the Northern Black Korhaan. This a male busy
with a so called display flight. I have never seen a Spur-winged Plover here in South Africa. Thank you for your input though.

The first image my be causing the confusion, here are some more.

Attachments

• CRW_1362.jpg
    CRW_1362.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 194
  • CRW_1390.jpg
    CRW_1390.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 230
  • CRW_1420.jpg
    CRW_1420.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Joern Lehmhus said:
Hi,

Hi Joern,
I considered it, but discarded the possibility because of the distribution of the white-black on the head and breast. The spinosus (and I'm not sure what taxon. you're following as I don't have it as differentiating enough to merit it's assignation to another genus - I have it in Vanellus on all three of the heavy world hitters, i.e. Clement's, SM, and Howard & Moore) has a black cap extending from the forehead to the hind nape and including the eye which has a black iris, and from a side view there is a white neck all the way down to the shoulder, in the pic, even though the darkness of the neck appears to be, in part, due to shadowing, I don't think it is all shadowing. Moreover, here the bill looks to be red with a black tip (spinosus bill is black), and the iris lighter (maybe yellow) which would also distance it from spinosus. I'm not sure what this is because tectus would seem to be out of range and then I would have a white underchin and a white forehead (not always shown this last) and then a slim black stripe that doesn't expand out into a pectoral band like on this one. All in all, this isn't tectus now that I've looked at it, but I don't know what it is.

Red bill+wing pattern of pic. 1 only fits one species that is likely in South African, that being Crowned Lapwing (V. coronatus). Spur-winged Plover has a dark bill and black on belly extents further down belly. Black-headed Lapwing has a similar bill, but black on chest only a line, nothing like the individual on the photo. Similarly, it is not exactly a species that would ne likely in South Africa (as far as I know, no records anywhere near down there).

Last edited:
cuckooroller said:
Leon,

If that first image on the left is a Bustard, then I'm going to hang myself. Rasmus, what do you think.

I have edited my reply, made a attachedment error. Sorry.

I'd promiss you (and that surely isn't something I do often!) that it's a Lapwing. I'd go even further and say that I am 100% sure it's a Crowned Lapwing. Nothing else in Africa looks like the photo. The first photo is a bit of a cheater (but it shows perfectly in the first photo in the later thread), where the underparts appear black, probably due to light.

leon said:
I have edited my reply, made a attachedment error. Sorry.

Crowned Lapwings are very commen in the area. I went to photograph the Korhaan's, trying to get as close as possible. I might have mistook the plover for a korhaan in one of the shots?

Here they are:

Attachments

• Vanellus coronatus 298.jpg
    Vanellus coronatus 298.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Vanellus spinosus 190.jpg
    Vanellus spinosus 190.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Vanellus tectus 5079.jpg
    Vanellus tectus 5079.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 198
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back