• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

western US Tern Id (1 Viewer)

Bubo

Registered Birder
attempted to ID this tern (i am not sure they are all the same bird, taken at different intervals, same day/location, but i think they're all the same species - but which is my issue).

i'm leaning towards elegant tern, only other possibility would be caspian which from research would have a darker more reddish bill, thicker too.

theoretically the choices for terns for this location and time of year are;
caspian, elegant, royal and common.

any way to know what species this would be, and pointers on how to tell the difference between these 4?

thank you.

Attachments

• p5160005TERN.jpg
    p5160005TERN.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 267
  • p5160016TERN.jpg
    p5160016TERN.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 274
  • p5160144TERN.jpg
    p5160144TERN.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 262
Looks like Elegant or Royal to me.. can't be Casp with that wing tip pattern and it has the build and bill shape of Elegant....

You can even see the rump which conveniently rules out the somewhat unlikely Lesser Crested Tern

appreciate the input. next time i'm there i'll try and get a pic of a least tern :) or at least get some time in observing all the terns. they move quite fast, a lot were carrying fish and diving for them. amazing birds. thanks again to all.

Elegant-- paler orange bill (or beak) tip, just the ends of the under primaries dark. Plus of course the long elegant down-curved beak (or bill).

Hi 'Bubo',
Nice pics of a classic Elegant Tern there,bill structure and length alone would rule out a Royal.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back