• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Yellow Warbler? (1 Viewer)

How about Lesser Goldfinch Chuck, the bill is certainly that of a seedeater (as is the behaviour!) and everything else seems to fit. Note also the small pale patch on the base of the primaries, short tail etc...

Best

MV

It's not a Yellow Warbler, the stout bill gives it away as a finch. My guess (and it's only a guess!) would be Lesser Goldfinch. The narrow wing bars and white patch on the primaries are strong indicators but I've only seen the Texas form so I'm not au-fait with any further west.

Darrell

Yes, I see it know. Thank you all. I should have known that because I'd seen a much brighter one at the feeder already. Hadn't expected this much variation though.

Yep, a fair bit of variation between juveniles, adult females, adult males already moulted into winter plumage, and adult males not yet moulted. And birds in active moult too, I guess.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back