• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reducing image size & retaining image quality?? (1 Viewer)

davem

I may well be asking the impossible here, but does anyone have any recommendations for software (outside of Photoshop or the Lightroom trial I've got going) for resizing an image from an original down to a 600x400 image and a 200x133 thumbnail and still retaining quality with file sizes of 60-80k and about 10k respectively??

As these are for website use with anything up to 300 thumbs on a page I'm ideally looking to keep the thumb size to 10k and the 600x400 pop-p / lightbox show to 60-80k each. At the moment Save for Web in CS3 at jpeg / high / quality 60 gives these file sizes and sadly Lightroom does not get anywhere near them even thogh I much prefer its resizing workflow.

Hints (or being told I'm expecting the impossible!) much appreciated.

TIA,

Dave.

I have just gone through the same task for my new web site and use 'fotosizer' as recommended by another BF member.
It was so easy to load all 350 photographs as I had them all in a single folder I called "web photos" .....then it was a simple job (even for me3:) to choose 600 pixels wide and apply it-it took just a few minutes to do the lot.
It reduced them to approx 80kb and they all loaded easily.

I also have photofiltre loaded and someone said that does the same job but 'fotosizer' is dedicated to doing just that in bulk.
I was advised that "saving to web" will get rid of all the EXIF (if thats important to you) but as the new sizes are so small it isn't necessary for loading purposes- so I didn't bother
Hope this helps as it's not often I am able to offer advice-I always seem to be asking for it:t:

Not one to miss an opportunity my web site is www.thenatureofphotography.co.uk ........needs 1 or 2 changes but it's nearly there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back