• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX 97MM filter (1 Viewer)

clive ward

Hi All

I have had the ATX 95mm for about ten days now and I have been looking for a stay on case(not available untill the end of October) and a filter for it. I need the filter for sea watching, something I don't do a lot of living in London, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. The only one I can find is by Rodenstock and costs about £235, I was thinking about £35. The thread size is 97mm any ideas.

You spend nearly three thousand on a scope, and won't pay one tenth of that for a top quality filter that's going to save your objective lens from utter salt and sand spray destruction? On top of that, a cheap filter is going to annihilate your optical advantage.

Bite the bullet is my advice. It's like buying a three grand PC and using a free anti virus and hacked copy of windows..... Short term looks good but long term... Meh.

Clive,

Ratal's suggestion regarding Turbo Film would be the ideal solution. It's cheap and optically superior to all but the most expensive glass filters.

I have used Astro Solar Film (uses the same material as Turbo Film but with a metallic coating to absorb 99,999%) to look at the sun. Tests have shown it to be better optically than glass solar filters.

If you don't want to make up a cardboard holder, Telescope Service in Munich will customize one for you in aluminium.

John

Filter for Swaro ATX 95

Hi All,
I have the same problem.. I can not find filter (not Turbofilm) for new ATX 95. :-C
Turbofilm provides protection against dust, but it does not protect against mechanical forces..
Maybe someone can help?
Lukas

I have said this in photography forums too when someone want to put filters on top quality lenses. Why have a filter at all? £3000 for a scope with top quality optics then put a crap filter on. If you only sea watch once a year make sure that when you have finished make sure you use a a can of Kennair to remove any fine sand or grit from the OG. IF it persists then use a lenspen brush to remove it. Then use a spray bottle of of water to remove any salt off the OG. Use one of the indoor plant sprayers that produce a fine mist before cleaning with a good quality microfibre cleaning cloth

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back