• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well that was confusing... (1 Viewer)

david2004

I have two pairs of Blue Tits nesting in my back garden. One in the House Sparrow Terrace and one in a nestbox in the back garden. The House Sparrow Terrace birds are fine and are taking in grubs and caterpillars for the chicks and removing faecal sacs.

The back garden birds were going in and out of the nestbox often, so I presumed they had chicks. But this morning something weird happened.

A pair of Blue Tits were in the back garden, fluttering all over the place as if they didn't know what to do with themselves. One often fed the other. They both kept doing weird wing flutterings, does anyone know what this could be?

One of them went to a seed feeder and very quickly and nervously took something. Then it went into the nestbox - with a sunflower heart? There were a couple of visits, and it didn't come out again. It's mate spent about ten minutes fluttering outside the box and peering into the nestbox which seemed very out.

Suddenly a BT came from nowhere (I think with food) trying to get in. Then the mystery pair flew off. Throughout the day what appear to be the resident birds have been sighted again, but so have the mystery pair and whatever they are doing.

Does anyone know what they are doing?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back