• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

olympus (1 Viewer)

Won't be much response. You can get a good deal, as they are discontinued, out of the business. If the price is right, go for it. You will have to describe them a little more.

OK, pretty much standard porros
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SD8LYG?smid=ACZMIPR5MCEV7&tag=msnshop-ce-mp-20&linkCode=asn

You can get 8x42 or 8x40 for a little less money than that, but the US 130 dollars is pretty near the top price for them if they are not waterproof. If they are waterproof, then the price is about right. If you can get them for less than that price, they are probably a good deal.

Look for similar models by Opticron, Nikon and Bushnell. The worst of the Bushnells are cheaper but not as good. I have Bushnell Legends 8x42, almost the same, I paid 109 dollars.

OP"

The Polish binocular site (whose name is of course Polish so it doesn't come to mind) raved about a pair of these. I presume they got a cherry but I'm not sure how that is across the range.

If they are discontinued and Olympus is out of the bin business I'd wonder about warranty. And at that price point they aren't quite cheap enough for that. At around $100 or so I'd try them out.

Try searching here as I posted a note on how to read the Polish site using Google translate so you can see their review.

I seem to remember that they got some sort of British birdwatching magazine or BBC award/recommendation a few year back. Currently readily available at several places including ACE at £119 and Microglobe at £89 for starters.
They are not waterproof but they havn't let any water in in (my) normal use. I prefer 8x porros in a slightly more compact form and tend to use Opticron 8x32 SRGA or Nikon EII.
With respect to ruggedness they have withstood one 5ft drop without collimation problems.
The eye cups are slightly bigger than ideal for me but that is largely down to individuals bone structure so don't read anything into that.
In general terms they represent the usual price advantage for porros in terms of quality of image at their price point.
Compared to similar Nikon Porros I prefer Olympus slightly.
As a binocular they work just fine and I occasionally feel guilty that they do not always get the use they deserve. Suggest strongly that you really need to try them out before purchase as I feel that they may be quite a nice glass hiding in a slightly bulky body, its just that I prefer the handling of other (slightly more expensive - admittedly) equivalents.

I think I'm confused my comments were for the roof prism version not the porro.

But I think you may mean the Olympus PathFinder 8x42 EXPS I which is a porro (and would explain the not waterproof bit).

Apologies for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back