• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OEM For Zen-Ray (1 Viewer)

Bill,

The last I was informed the owner of Zen Ray purchased his own plant in China. My understanding was that most of their products are now produced there. I am not sure who their original supplier was.

Bill,

The last I was informed the owner of Zen Ray purchased his own plant in China. My understanding was that most of their products are now produced there. I am not sure who their original supplier was.

The factory who designed and made Prime HD , ZEN ED3 binoculars and spotter for Zen Ray didn't supply these products for Zen Ray anymore. Zen Ray should still have some inventory.

Several years ago, Zen Ray also said he have plant in China. Actually it was proved to be false.

Interesting comments. Care to mention how you came by this information? I don't remember reading it anywhere on any of the various optics forums.

I can't say at all.

I did find a few months ago (and mentioned in another thread) that the 8x32 Zen Ray and the 8x32 Celestron were so close as to be the same bin (under the armor of course). This was my opinion and some agreed and some disagreed. I tried to find that thread last night and could not however. And that was just one particular model.

I can't say at all.

I did find a few months ago (and mentioned in another thread) that the 8x32 Zen Ray and the 8x32 Celestron were so close as to be the same bin (under the armor of course). This was my opinion and some agreed and some disagreed. I tried to find that thread last night and could not however. And that was just one particular model.

About those two, I don't know. I do know that some observers will battle over what they don't for a long time. I asked the original question because some ZenRays were getting good reviews.

Bill

". . . An “American” company sold the binocular on the left [There was a photo of two binos.] for $420. The binocular on the right, from a European “manufacturer,” sold for $650. The differences between the two? Aesthetics and $230. The “American” binocular and the “European” binocular were both made by the same company . . . in Japan!

The one on the right came in a box boldly stating, “Made in XXXXXXXXX.” And it was—the box, I mean. Even at the upper end of the pricing, the instrument was a fine performer—a binocular for a lifetime. I just found the marketing technique somewhat questionable.

Of the hundreds of brands and models currently coming from Asia, almost all come from a handful of firms that actually manufacture the instruments.

Case in point: in 2004, I started importing what I called Captain’s First Mate, a rugged, well-made, waterproof marine binocular. Yet, you can buy the same product from Orion Telescopes and Binoculars under the Resolux name (4 models). If you prefer to buy it from Oberwerk, it will be the Ultra; from Astro Physics, the Premium. And when sold by the late Garrett Optical, it was the Signature. And from . . . Well, you get the picture."

Bill,

I can't say I have an answer to your original question beyond what I posted. In the beginning of their production I am not sure who Zen Ray dealt with. Even after I was told that they bought their own factory I was aware that one or two of their models were still being produced out of house.

There are similarities with several of their products and products offered by other companies. The previously mentioned ZRS 8x32 and Celestron Trailseeker being a perfect example. I had both in hand when I did the comparative review of 8x32s back in October. They are the same basic binocular. Of course, each company can custom request different "particulars" such as coatings, quality control level, etc...

As a follow-up question to you though....where were you seeing that they were receiving a lot of press lately? You are actually the second person that made a comment like that to me over the last few weeks.

As a follow-up question to you though....where were you seeing that they were receiving a lot of press lately? You are actually the second person that made a comment like that to me over the last few weeks.

Maybe "press" was too strong a moniker. I've seen it here. However, the folks on this forum seem NOT as taken with the hyperbole you mention as you might find on other forums.

Cheers,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back