• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Take Three (1 Viewer)

How about this for what is on hand:

1 - Nikon EDG-II 10X42 - Primary game spotter from vehicle, some walking.
2 - Nikon EDG-II 08X32 - Walking binocular.
3 - Bushnell Elite 12X50 - For when the Nikon 10X is just not enough.

The most difficult choice was between the Nikon EDG 8X32 or the Nikon 8X30 EII. The EII has a spectacular view because of the poro design and wide field, but the EDG is more practical.

If I could have only one binocular (on hand or not), it would still be the Nikon EDG-II 10X42.

Of course this is all subject to change at a moments notice!

1) Nikon EDG 7x42 or 8x42 - everything anyone would ever really need for serious birding.
2) Meopta 8x32/Euro HD 8x32 - knockabout, to quote Samandag. Small but rugged binocular, big image.
3) Vortex Fury 6.5x32 - especially if #1 is 8x42. Champion for warblering.

(The 8x30 E II is out of contest and untouchable. It does not fit into this list but will neither leave my collection)

Hypothetically, if I wasn't a spectacle wearer:

1) Possibly Leica UV 7x42 HD to replace EDG and Fury.
2) Kite Lynx HD 8x30 to replace Meopta
3) Nikon E II 8x30 to be Nikon E II 8x30

//L

Last edited:
After much thought (since long before this thread),
price-independent:
10x25 as main bin, in pocket(!)
Leica Ultravid (9.5 oz, 4.4 in, USD 750)
8x32/33 for wider, deeper, brighter view while small and light
Kowa Genesis (21 oz, 5.6 in, USD 1050)
12x50 for distance (I don't like scopes!) or/and v. low light
Celestron Granite (30 oz, 6.7 in, USD 450).

A best three to have and to hold...hmmm...what to exclude.

OK for daytime use it would have to be:
Nikon 8x30 E II
Nikon 10x35 EII

For evening and night time use:
Celestron 9.5x44 ED

For me this is pretty easy for the first two, more difficult for the third.

1) Canon 10x42 IS L - for just about all birding use and about 90-95% of all other use as well.

2) Swarovski 8x42 EL Range for keelboat racing, to be able to quickly determine exact distance to competition. The view is supposedly pretty good, too, although these I have only viewed with very briefly so don't have real experience of.

3) The hard part is, would the third pair be (a) a mini that I would use when the Canon is too big, heavy and ugly, or (b) a maxi that I would try when I thought the Canon might not perform well enough, only to realize that without stabilization, the maxi cannot equal it anyway.

If I chose 3a, it might be the Swaro 8x25 CL Pocket, simply because I struggle with the small exit pupil of the Leica Ultravid 8x20 I currently have.

If 3b, either Zeiss HT 8x54 or Swarovski 8x56 SLC, depending on which would have a more aberration-free image when I tested them prior to buying. As of yet, I have not viewed with either so don't have a preference.

Kimmo

1. Zeiss 7x42 Fl for when number 2 is at home due to low light/miserable weather (I don`t think its the best 7x42 but its the only one that comes close to number 2` fov).
2. Nikon 8x30EII.
3. Swarovski/Zeiss 15x56 for when I`m in a hide and can support them.

Out of the current binoculars I own I would keep:

1. Zeiss 10x42 HT. This would be my choice if I were to keep only one binocular.
2. Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD. Redundant but I use these when I don't want to subject the Zeiss to extreme conditions like the beach.
3. Nikon 8x30 EII/Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky. It's a tossup between these two but I would probably keep the Nikon and use the Meopta as my truck bin in place of the Sightron. Glad I don't have to make this decision though, it would be hard to give up the Sightron.

As far as a future dream team. I would like to assemble something like this:

1. Zeiss 10x42 HT
2. Zeiss 8x32. I am patiently waiting a new alpha model from them but would be happy with the Conquest HD also.
3. Nikon 7x42 EDG or Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD. Would have to do more extensive field testing with these but I have used both in field conditions and liked both very much. I would also consider filling this spot with a compact instead. Again field testing for me would dictate this.

If I could only keep three...........

Zeiss 8x32 Victory FLT
Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD
Zeiss 8x42 Victory FLT

But I would really miss my Meopro 6.5x32.
The "dream" bin........Zeiss 8x42 HT

Hmmm, my 8x32 sv that was easy.
A 7x42, my SLC works just fine.
15x56, yet to be determined but, the Minox I have on hand will work.
Tried the lower priced Vortex 15x, its going back. "QC"

Bryce...

1. Zeiss 7x42 Fl for when number 2 is at home due to low light/miserable weather (I don`t think its the best 7x42 but its the only one that comes close to number 2` fov).
2. Nikon 8x30EII.
3. Swarovski/Zeiss 15x56 for when I`m in a hide and can support them.

I think I´m with Torview on this choice. The problem is second-guessing the weather. If the EII´s were waterproof, I´d choose them over all other 8x binos. Certainly Swaro SLC 15x56 for seawatching (I´ve never seen the Zeiss).

Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL
Zeiss 8x32 FL (if I didn't wear glasses I might pick Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD)
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL Swarovision (ideally in a faster focus version than the current model)

--AP

1. Swarovski 10x25 CL Pocket. The do-it-all magnificently all-rounder when portability is of primary concern. Small and light enough to go anywhere, fantastic optically, far fewer traditional 'fiddly' compact issues - more like a mid-size for ease of use.

2. Leica Duovid 8+12x42. The do-it-all-magnificently all-rounder when portability is not of primary concern.

3. Nikon Monarch 5 16x56. For open landscapes / large water bodies. Optically outstanding - especially for the money.

Hmmm, my 8x32 sv that was easy.
A 7x42, my SLC works just fine.
15x56, yet to be determined but, the Minox I have on hand will work.
Tried the lower priced Vortex 15x, its going back. "QC"

Bryce...

Bryce:

We all have optics we like. Tell us more about the Vortex 15X,
and reasons it is going back ?

Is that the one that was mentioned on the bargain thread, and we
had some fun over ?

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back