• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dissapointing feedback (1 Viewer)

vwxyzen

swillybirder
This year I have reported 2 colour ringed Little Egrets through the proper channels at euring and had no response to date. It's nearly the end of the year now and would have liked to include the details of the 2 birds in our bird report for this year. Unless there is a last minute response I will be left with a bitter taste in my mouth.
Any further sightings I have will be left unreported.

Try Chris Benson at illaune 'at' eircom.net He rings Little Egrets in Ireland. Probably not likely to be one of his but worth a try. Otherwise he may point you in the right direction.

Twite.

There are so many schemes some take a bit of chasing down, but I have been very impressed with the speed of response, even from ringers who obviously have little English.

Any further sightings I have will be left unreported.

Doesn't that 'toys out of pram' approach just mean you penalise all the helpful, responsive guys as a result of the minority?

I've reported a number of colour ringed birds of various species - haven't always got a reply, but those I have got have been prompt, friendly and above all very grateful. Got to be worth keeping at it...

The colour ringing of Little Egrets is administered by Richard Hearn of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust.
Email: littleegrets 'AT' yahoo.co.uk

Kevin

Another option would be to contact the BTO. They reckon that they co-ordinate all colour-ringing schemes in the UK (and here, too).

As David says, please continue to report your colour-ringing sightings. The sightings and what can be found out from the data are the reasons for colour-ringing the birds in the first place.

Allen

Doesn't that 'toys out of pram' approach just mean you penalise all the helpful, responsive guys as a result of the minority?

I've reported a number of colour ringed birds of various species - haven't always got a reply, but those I have got have been prompt, friendly and above all very grateful. Got to be worth keeping at it...

I totally agree. Some people respond very swiftly (within 2 or 3 days) and are very helpful even with incomplete codes, so for the sake of the purpose of this colour-ringing and for these guys we should always report Colour-Rings. Sometimes we correspond with the wrong scheme and we get a response and help to find the right one (a friend of mine experienced this recently with a Sanderling).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back