• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (2 Viewers)

I suspect it may not be a good year for Bee orchids, especially here in the west country; poor numbers and those that have emerged are damaged by last weeks storms.

I visited 2 sites today; at one, which normally holds a few Bees with a few with sepaloid petals, I couldn't find a single plant. At the other, which normally holds quite a few, many of which are var belgarum I could only find 5 plants, four of which were belgarum (and the fifth was so badly browned I couldn't see the lip pattern).

Rich M

Interesting what you say about Bees, as I was at Ettington Warks yesterday at a roadside site which has normally a population of a hundred or so good size Bees, and in past years some bicolour plants. This year- only one tiny plant. They have done well in the past even during hot and dry spells.

Another odd Bee

Looks like a belgarum x trollii hybrid so I've called it Var. belgollii

Alan

Attachments

• Belgollii.jpg
    Belgollii.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 92
LOL @ belgollii. Nice find!

I don't think it's a bad year for Bees, at least not in the South East; I think I've probably seen more this year than I have in any in recent memory. Probably helps that I found a colony of 50 plants entirely by accident the other day; nowhere near all of them flowering, but still ;)

I thought the Musk in Surrey looked pretty much at their peak this weekend!

Last edited:
Discovered an 'atrofuscus' Bee Orchid out at RSPB Radipole Lake this afternoon. There are none at the usualy site (probably due to it being flooded for several weeks in April) but a single is in flower nearer to the visitor center. Details available in the centre if anyones planning a visit.

Common spotted

Common Spotted numbers locally seem to be down this year, and they are also harder to find because the grass in the meadows is so tall this summer.

Went to a site today that has held var rhodochila in the past but couldn't find one in a quick search.

Earlier in the week I did find this quite heavily pigmented plant.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30560.JPG
    SNV30560.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 42
  • SNV30562.JPG
    SNV30562.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 49
Bee orchid var flavescens

Don't know if it's just me or if this variant is rare in the west country but I've only seen it once before today.

Guided by some privately shared information (thanks a lot) I was able find 5 plants, and very nice they were too.

Am I correct in thinking it's more common in the south-east?

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_5537.JPG
    IMG_5537.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5548.JPG
    IMG_5548.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5551.JPG
    IMG_5551.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5556.JPG
    IMG_5556.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5564.JPG
    IMG_5564.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 57
Bee oddities

On our travels today we found a couple of Bees that were having trouble unfurling.

In the lefthand photo they seem to be getting in each others way.

In the right hand photo, which is a var belgarum, you can see just how thin the lip really is.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV30597.JPG
    SNV30597.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 60
  • SNV30605.JPG
    SNV30605.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 78
Don't know if it's just me or if this variant is rare in the west country but I've only seen it once before today.

Guided by some privately shared information (thanks a lot) I was able find 5 plants, and very nice they were too.

Rich M

Was also lucky enough to see these plants in the South East a few days ago - again by some privately shared info that I really appreciated. Quite a few plants in this location - 20 to 30 maybe. I assume these are 'flavescens' as opposed to 'chlorantha'?

Chris

Attachments

• boc1.jpg
    boc1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 55
  • boc2.jpg
    boc2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 62
Hmm, not that I have heard.

Check earlier in this thread.

While your motives might be completely genuine, I'm afraid there is sensitivity these days about openly giving out orchid sites.

I suspect you have hit barriers to information previously and feel slightly aggrieved by the lack of communication.

If this is the case, the best strategy is to prove your genuity by posting carefully-worded updates on here and engendering trust in the people who have access to the more esoteric sites, so that they can be sure that if they do pass you information, it will be treated with the sensitivity with which it was given, and not passed on irresponsibly.

PM me and we can have the conversation off the public forum!

Sean

There are very few Fen orchids in Norflok this year and are not worth seeing. Next year could be better.

Sean

Can't say that I agree with you Sean, I thought they were well worth seeing. I saw several today, some real beauties. I certainly wouldn't leave it for another year.

And on tuesday I was at Sandwich where the Lizards have had a real battering from rain and wind, especially on the beach. Few tall ones, in the past I have seen them nearly 80cm. Some nice ones in sheltered roads back from the beach. But still some life left in them. Close by a superb field of Southern Marsh with a few Common Spot Hybrids thrown in. very nice. And then to round off the day a superb bank of Late Spiders with varied markings, more than I have ever seen at that location before.

Thanks for your advice Mike and I am well aware of thefts from sites. I do however favour a more open approach to orchid sites and although I am quite happy to talk about many of them openly, as you rightly say there are some rather more sensitive than others. I saw some lovely wasp orchids in Warwickshire yesterday, but I have heard of colonies in Oxford, anyone know these?

Likewise, I prefer to be open about sites too but, as I'm sure you probably know, it's not always appropriate. I understand it can be highly annoying when people are unwilling to help you find a species/site through their apparent mistrust, hence why I'd reiterate Sean's point - ingage in forum discussions and post some of your own finds (aberrants and variations esp). I'm sure the good people on here would be happy to help you out!

Mike.

At Ainsdale yesterday - no time to really turn the place over, but Early Marsh, still in flower but not for much longer. Some Pyramidal, Northern Marsh and Common Spotted. Good numbers of Bee. Marsh Helleborine buds just opening.

Rich M

I reckon you might be right Rich, I've seen all sorts of things in Glos & Somerset but only seen flavescens in Kent.

Alan

Looks like a belgarum x trollii hybrid so I've called it Var. belgollii

Alan

Just looking through the rest of my photos from the "belgolli" site, I think this one is a definite botteronii, you're our resident expert on such things Rich, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 50
Just looking through the rest of my photos from the "belgolli" site, I think this one is a definite botteronii, you're our resident expert on such things Rich, what do you think?

Just for good measure, what about these?

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back