• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK I'm excited. (1 Viewer)

black crow

Zen Ray has been the top of my expenditure platform but I have always wondered how they perform against Swarovski's and I've never been around some to make a comparison. Well a few days ago a distant relative passed away and he always (jokingly I thought) said he'd will me his pair when he died. Well they are in the mail. I didn't have anyone around to "Crow" to about them so I'm doing it here and I promise a amature review and comparison with the Zen Ray 7x36 based on what comparisons may exist. I won't know which pair they are until they arrive because the person who sent them doesn't know binos from hamburgers.

Last edited:
Oh that's FABULOUS!!! :t:

Wish I had some birding relatives....or even just somebody interested in natural history full stop to leave me something useful!!! :smoke: :-O

Zen Ray has been the top of my expenditure platform but I have always wondered how they perform against Swarovski's and I've never been around some to make a comparison. Well a few days ago a distant relative passed away and he always (jokingly I thought) said he'd will me his pair when he died. Well they are in the mail. I didn't have anyone around to "Crow" to about them so I'm doing it here and I promise a amature review and comparison with the Zen Ray 7x63 based on what comparisons may exist. I won't know which pair they are until they arrive because the person who sent them doesn't know binos from hamburgers.

Would you put me in your will?

I look forward to reading the comparison

Hi Frank, I just noticed I inverted the 36 to a 63 B :)on those Zen's in my OP. Were that true I think they might just win in the dawn and dusk comparison. :t: Lets hope I remember enough to make the comparison interesting to you. I still use my bino's on a regular basis but don't think about them much as I've moved into the next hobby which is learning to play the Ukulele. I now own 5 of them buy the way so it's the same addictive traits at work. In the Ukulele forum they call it UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome) and most folk there have it bad.

And btw those Oberwerk 25X100s turned out to be pretty amazing binos in most viewing conditions. I needed a $350 tripod just to hold them steady. (it was all a xmas gift and cost me nada as it was beyond what I would have been willing to spend.) I can watch golden eagles hunting on the mountain foothills several miles away and be able to identify them easily from the red tail hawks and bald eagles that hunt there and I can actually see people smoking pot on Grizzly Peak far above them. It's pretty amazing when the viewing conditions are good. And of course looking at star fields and star clusters at night is nothing less than spectacular, not to mention the moon.

I should have the new binos by the end of next week so look for that review sometime in the next week after that.

And I hope life is treating you well.

Last edited:
How far does the Crow fly?

Around here not far. They are everywhere in town here and roost not far away.

I was out hiking with the dogs today and saw three crows making a slow circle with them doing the same tumble air show that I see mating golden eagles do. I did not know that crows did that also. I assume they were mating and one was a female. The were cruising less than 100 ft. above me and I could easily get them all in view with my Eagle Optics 6x30 (btw my second favorite binos behind the Zens). It was quite spectacular to see up close although they did not do the long tumbles that eagles do. One would just turn over onto it's back and slide under the other (I assume female) and just for an instant grab her by her feet and then let go and slide out. There is not much about crows to not like or be impressed by.

I will say that one area in which Zen-Ray binoculars do not lack is optical performance. I've only used the ED3 and ZRS HD, but I can say the ED3 is very comparable, optically, to many alphas. Build quality suffers from quality assurance failings but if you have a good sample of the 7x36 ED2, I wouldn't be surprised if you prefer certain aspects of its optical performance to the Swaros.

Good birding,
Justin

Around here not far. They are everywhere in town here and roost not far away.

I was out hiking with the dogs today and saw three crows making a slow circle with them doing the same tumble air show that I see mating golden eagles do. I did not know that crows did that also. I assume they were mating and one was a female. The were cruising less than 100 ft. above me and I could easily get them all in view with my Eagle Optics 6x30 (btw my second favorite binos behind the Zens). It was quite spectacular to see up close although they did not do the long tumbles that eagles do. One would just turn over onto it's back and slide under the other (I assume female) and just for an instant grab her by her feet and then let go and slide out. There is not much about crows to not like or be impressed by.
Crows are the most intelligent birds there are.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back