• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Martial/Crowned Eagle - Zimbabwe (1 Viewer)

cossypha

Hi
Saw this while driving back to Harare from Kariba. It was pretty laid back, and allowed me to get lots of photos. I'm thinking Martial Eagle, but can Crowned be a possibility?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1184.JPG
    DSC_1184.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_1189b.jpg
    DSC_1189b.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for that! I'm wondering what makes you so sure of Martial? I don't doubt you, but I'd like to know how you can tell so confidently so that I can differentiate the two more easily in the future.

Thanks again

Hey Nick

Habitat is usually the first clue - Crowneds normally are more of a forest bird yrs gives the impression of being in more open savannah. An imm Crowned also has dark feathering on the legs, and the flight feathers are barred.

Ads

I was trying to use the information given here in Opus, but ran into a problem: which species is it you guys refer to as "Crowned"?

And by the way, nice images in post one, please upload one or both to the gallery where more people can enjoy them!
thanks
Niels

thanks bbb,
I had a rough time of it, but finally figured out that the species you mean in Opus is named Crowned Hawk-Eagle. Just Crowned Eagle is a South American species in Opus.

thanks
Niels

It strikes me as weird that it's often called 'Crowned Hawk-eagle' as there's nothing hawkish about it when looking at one for real! Even odder is the South American 'Crowned Eagle' is taxonomically placed in amongst the hawks....odd

Opus place them both in family Accipitridae, just in two different genera -- I think this level follows Clements. I think I have seen an alternative name for the American species as Crowned Solitary Eagle.

Niels

Yeah, Crowned Solitary Eagle is how I've always known it (it comes after Black Solitary Eagle!!) but the appendage of 'hawk' to the African Crowned has always just struck me as a misnomer. The SE Asian Hawk-eagles (and African spp for that matter) actually do look like a mix between the two generas whereas the Crowned is just such a monkey-eating monster of a bird!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back